Monday, January 16, 2012

Have I said it's cold?

I'm beginning to wonder why I am still here in the cold and snow.  Yes, it snows in Vancouver, although I must say we are not getting the worst of it.  Oh, yes, I am here because I have a lot of expensive things on my bucket list, and this is helping!  And, aside from dramatic effect, it is not that bad, and it is great to see friends and catch up with the gossip.

As promised, though, not quite as busy a week.  On Monday night, we played bridge again at John's.  Yes, I know, we did it last week, but apparently they missed me!  In fact, they are coming to Palm Springs with me next Saturday (yes, folks, I am leaving next Saturday for sunnier climes), for a bridge marathon: translation, so they get to see this great place I was talking about.

Tuesday, I met friend Philip for a happy New Year drink.  Philip and I studied together in law school - just us and a bottle of scotch in the carral (it really is a wonder I ever graduated law school, much less that I did it twice), and The Hotel Vancouver was an old hangout in those days.  (Of course, in those days, the martinis didn't cost 12 dollars either).  We are really, really old friends now, so it was great fun!

Wednesday was lunch with Debbie, another friend from law school days.  She indulged me in dim sum, something one can't do alone - or in Palm Springs, either.

On Thursday evening, friend Carol came over from Salt Spring, and we indulged ourselves in a bottle of wine and a bunch of scrabble games, my third passion (after opera and bridge).

I was meant to go to Seattle for the weekend, but seeing as I fooled aroung so much during the week, I had to work on the weekend to make up the time.  I did sneak out for two movies, My Week with Marilyn, and A Dangerous Method.  Both were very good, in very different ways.  Marilyn was romantic and sweet and just plain beautiful, although it was somewhat painful to know that even Kenneth Brannach is getting old.  Dangerous Method was very cerebral, but seemed hugely relevant to me.  In any event, worth seeing, in spite of the critics.

And now, another week.  Even less on tap this week, but by the time I next write, I will be in Palm Springs, so you can start thinking Palm trees.

No comments:

Post a Comment