Sunday, October 20, 2013

Date Line: Palm Springs


Bet you thought I would never get here!  The last week in town was a round of good-bye lunches and dinners, including lunch with former colleague Mickey, who I hadn't seen since May, and the annual birthday lunch with friend and former law school mate Richard, and his wife Lynda (formerly my assistant, when I had my own practice, but that is a long story).  This time dim sum was at Kirin, aas our usual haunt, Victoria, was closed for rennovation.  (review:  good food, but not as good as The Victoria.  Better seervice though).  I hadn't seen Lynda for years and years, and I was thrilled she came along.  It was great to get caught up! (Sorry - no camera in evidnce!)

Also reconnected with former colleague Deb, who I probably haven't seen for 5 years or more.  She turned up at the White Rock Bridge Club, of all places, so I dragged her up to Steveston for dinner at - you can probably guess - The Blue Lagoon.



I actually snuck in some culture as well, Eugene Onegin at the Metropolitan Opera at the Movies (as I call it) on Saturday morning.  It is an opera not done all that often, Anna Netrebko was singing, it is Tchaikovsky, the music was glorious - well, enoigh said, when the encore comes to a theater near you, go see it.

Followed by yet more dim sum (I am trying to get my fill of ethnic food while in Vancouver.  Aside from Mexican food, I don't get much of it in Palm Springs)  with the usual crowd...

Left to right, Arlene, Sheila, Joyce and Jennifer

(and yours truly, second from the left, of course)

...and finally, one last party on Monday, the 7th (I left on Tuesday!), for Dieppe, a new colleague, turning 50.  As I think I mentioned last post, we used to celebrate lots (births, and deaths too) at work in the old days, but have gotten out of the habit in recent years.  I'm glad we are getting back into it.  Anyway, this was yet again more Chinese food (fine by me, of cours, see above) and a pretty big turn out.





To the left is Enid, party planner extraordinaire; on the right. Dieppe, the birthday girl herself






(The last two were just to show you how gaudy the place really was, at the New China Seafood Restaurant!)

Even had time for a last round of bridge with the boys.  My only regret was that the last few days were marred by a cold, making me miss two theater opportunities (The Habit of Art, which my friend was directing) and the Rocky Horror Picture Show, being done my one of our - by our, I mean Tom and I - favourite local ensembles).  Oh, well, you can't do everything.  I do hate being sick though.  I know I'm suppose to just soldier on, like a good girl, and all I want to do is whine!

But, one way or another, sick or not, on Tuesday, October 8th, I was finally off.  Closing up shop in Vancouver is not all that hard - tell the managers that I'm going, give June the key to the mailbox, and I'm off.  It gets a little convoluter, in that I went to work, came home, parked my car, and then had a taxi to take me to the airport, where I caught the bus to take me to Seattle, where Mariah picked me up.  I overnighted at her house (after making a start on Mexican food at her local tacqueria) and she took me to the airport for the short hop to San Francisco.

As usual, stayed at Hank's, whos lodgings are always open to me, thank goodness, and on Wednesday night, we did our usual "hello" dinner at the Alamo Square Bistro (as promisd, no more pictures of me and Hank at the Alamo Square Bistro).  It is such a fine neighborhood eatery, great atmosphere, great food, great service, I never tire of it; besides it has become a tradition.

(A brief aside,  I have puzzled out why I am so found of the traditions we - all my friends and I - have built up.  I think it is because my childhood was so chaotic that I like the stability that rituals and customs and habits provide.  How's that for sidewalk psychology of the Lucy variety?)

And on early Thursday morning,October 10th, Hank, Pat and I climbed into Pat's BMW for the 7 hour drive to Ashland, Oregon, home of the by now infamous Oregon Shakeseare Festival.

Where we will take up the story next time.......

No comments:

Post a Comment