Saturday, November 30, 2013

Happy (American) Thanksgiving!!!

As always, I have lots to be thankful for!

On Sunday, November 24, we had a planning session at brunch, at Ruby's, a retro breakfast joint in Palm Springs.







We managed to get everything organized, have fun, and have a great breakfast too.  And, unusually for a group made up solely of type A's, there wasn't a disagreement to be had!

Sunday afternoon continued with, what else, more bridge, this time Swiss Teams at the bridge club, with Art as my partner...




We didn't have a team, so one was arranged, nice folks, as you can see (that's Art, looking better than ever in the center, as I'm sure you will all remember).  Swiss teams is a bit too much "fuss and feathers" for me - I don't think I need to do it again - but we didn't do too badly, and did manage to score some points out of the afternoon, so all was well.

No more rain, and I continue to travel in style....


My neighbors, Deb and Arlene (otherwise known as "the girls" are here all week (they are still working, and are generally only here on weekends), and is good to have them!  The whole gang came over to my house on Tuesday afternoon for drinks and appy's, and they have managed to plan the redesign of my kitchen (the work is due to start in January).

And, soon enough, the Thursday of Thanksgiving is here.  We have decided to do it in the clubhouse this year - it has gotten too big to be manageable at someone's house - and go down early in the day to set up.


(Okay, you guys will just have to turn your heads to the right.  It has just taken me half an hour to get this from my email to here.  It defeats me as to how to rotate it to the right, and there aren't so many good pictures of me that I want to let it go!)

Anyway, I was charged with the turkey - the electric turkey roaster has been a big hit since I bought it too years ago - and it came out beautifully, all 22 pounds of it.

Yours truly, waiting for the guests to arrive

Deb, Arlene & Bob

Arlene






...and many, many more - 26 in all.  Aside from the turkey, there was a ham, and of course all the fixings.  It was a grand feast, and most important, was not loaded with the dysfunction usual in family gatherings.  (Or so they tell me.  My parents were from Eastern Europe, and neither they nor any of their friends ever really participated in American Thanksgiving).  I loved it.  This year in particular, which was loaded with dying and death and friends' parents with Alzheimers and friends with various and sundry ailments and marital woes and separations and wayward children - well, I'm thankful for health, and financial stability, and the blessings of friends.

Hopefully, with all the fuss, you remembered to be thankful too!

No comments:

Post a Comment