Sunday, December 22, 2013

Ho Ho Ho

Well, twas the week before Christmas, and, for those of us who don't decorate, and wouldn't be caught dead in a mall any time between Thanksgiving and Christmas, it was business as usual.  Well, almost.  I played bridge five times this week - twice with Art at the Duncan Bridge Center, twice at Mizell Senior Center (two different partners, Tuesday with new acquaintance Dru and Friday with club leader Jane), and once on Thursday at the Heart and Stroke Center with a new partner, Claire.  (really, you could play bridge 24/7 in this town) And, of course, the ever present Santa and his baking elves.....




On Tuesday, I had breakfast at friend Howard's, who was the only one (so far) who considered that a meal made for me might be nice, seeing as I have no kitchen!  He's a good cook, too, and it was nice to see his place all unpacked and organized, and looking like he's been there forever (it's been 3 weeks!).

After bridge on Tuesday, Dru and I tried out a little Italian dive (near Mizell and near my gym as well), known for its cheap prices, huge portions, and humongous glasses of wine.  Another example of "you get what you pay for"; enough said.  However, the company was great.  Dru is a friend of a friend from Vancouver, I am enjoying getting to know her better.

On that note, there seems to be a quantum leap in new acquaintances this year.  I don't know whether it is just that I have been here for long enough, or the plethora of new bridge partners, or the classes; in any event, I like the broadening of my horizons.  Now, when I start to play golf......

Wednesday night was another Metropolitan Opera in the Movies encore night.  This is the Met's first new production of Verdi's Falstaff in almost 50 years, and it is worth the wait!  Admittedly, it is a farce, not my favourite, but the director got it just right, it was hugely funny without being over the top, and all the characters - even (or especially) Falstaff were very human.  The setting was the 50's, so you can just imagine the props (fabulous, as only the Met) can do, the singing and the music were glorious, and noone dies. What could be better?  I went with friend Howard, after dinner at Sherman's Deli (right down the street from the movie theater, and it was wonderful to have an enthusiastic companion to share it all with!

What else can I tell you?  More fauna and flora, of course....

I'm not sure whether this is Fred or Ethel, but he (she) definitely wants food....

The grapefruit and starting to get ripe ....

...and I learned about a new Palm Springs "thing", a drink called the Arnie Palmer, a combination of lemonade and iced tea.  Could that exist any where else but here?

The mornings are cool, and the pool is heated.  It was neat to see the steam rising from the pool on the way to the gym.....


(By the way, the chicken wire, a new addition, is to keep the rabbits from pooping on the pool deck!)

I am still reading trash, in all media.  In actual paperback (hey, I needed something I could take to the pool, which I was also able to do this week, as it was warm enough in the afternoon), one of Robert Crais' LA crime novels, a la Philip Marlow but with more psychology.  This was actually a pleasant surprise, as it is not the type of thing I usually like.  However, friend Art highly recommended this author, and I found 10 of his books on my bookshelf when I went looking. Art trying to encourage me, no doubt.  This is the first I have read, but I finished it in one day, and I will certainly continue the series.

On the Kindle, another Barbara Pym, this one called No Fond Return of Love, which takes her characters from the country vicarage to the university campuses and city of London.  Such gentle books (totally different from the Crais book, I can assure you), but quite charming.  Finally, I found my long lost IPod, charged it, downloaded some new books, and went for a long walk listening to the beginning of Amy Tan's new(ish) book, The Valley of Amazement.  And I did make some progress on Flight of the Eagle, although, admittedly, not much.  So, if you are being kind, you could call my reading habits eclectic; if you are now feeling quite so charitable, you might call it haphazard.  It more or less keeps me out of mischief, though, and it is one of the great joys of retirement to have the time and ability to do it.

What else?  Well, the renovations are proceeding apace.  My contractor is very fastidious, and careful cleans up at the end of each day.  Nonetheless, it is unsettling to come home to a changing landscape every day (what first-world problems we all have!).  I will be happy, I think, to leave for Vancouver for the month of January, and come back on February 1 to see the final result.  (I'm not one of these people who needs to see the sausage being made, so to speak....)

Finally, tis the season to remember friends and family, to remember blessings of same (of which I am hugely aware), and to wish you all a happy non-denominational (or all denominational, if you will) holiday, and all my best wishes for a happy, healthy, prosperous, and loving new year, from my house to yours.

As always, I hope to see you all in my house (one or the other, or both) in 2014.



No comments:

Post a Comment