Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Work, work, work

As advertised, it has been a much quieter week, a few lunches and coffees with colleagues, but not too much else.  Tom and I did have another theater night on Thursday, the 23rd.  We went over to Commercial Drive.  The cognoscenti among you know that it is the hip and happening spot in Vancouver, multi-cultural, multi-generational, the smell of weed in the air, you know, a total time warp to the Haight in the 60's.  (I always feel my ever-advancing age in places like that.)   The restaurant of choice was The Carthage Cafe.  It has apparently been around for 6 or 7 years, but new to us.



(A sidebar here.  This time of year in this part of the world we have something called Dine Out Vancouver.  Apparently a slow stretch for restaurants, so they get together, have set menus at really reasonable prices to get people out in the rain.  It certainly works for us - Tom and I participate every year, always adding new restaurants to our repertoire.  This is one of those; we will certainly come again.  In spite of the commotion in the streets, this was a really lovely "north African with French influence" cafe, withgreat food and service)

The theater, The Havana Theater was just down the street.  It is a funky little theater tucked behind a restaurant/bar of the same name.




and one of our favourite theater companies, Fighting Chance Productions, was putting on a funky little play called Reasons to be Pretty.  I can't say I was hugely enamored of the play, but I can't say it wasn't provacative!

One of my lunch hours saw me in a book store (yes, I occasionally pay 30% more to keep them alive!)  I did get three of the ones I was looking for (Alone Together, by Sherry Turkle, about our relationships with machines, specifically, robots; Red Fortress, by Catherine Merridale, a history of the Kremlin; and The Devil that Never Dies, by Daniel Goldhagen - he also wrote Hitler's Willing Executioners - about the rise and threat of global antisemitism.  Armistead Maupin's new - and purportedy last - book wasn't in yet!)  So, between walking between the raindrops, reading books and the Economists John had been saving for me, and the ever-present New York Times, well the weekend passed.

Just so you guys don't think I am a total Pollyanna (sorry, PA), I should tell you that it was not a good weekend for me.  I am feeling hugely anxious, worrying about the renovations in Palm Springs, mostly, and money, and the niggly things that need to be done to keep one's life running smoothly.  I know, I know, these are all first world problems, but they are causing me sleepless nights nonetheless. Well, I am heading back to Palm Springs next week, and I am sure all the problems will be solved in the fullness of time.  The hidden agenda item, of course, is that this is not a good time of year for me.  David died 8 years ago February 6.  I miss him hugely still, always, but I feel particularly alone this time of year.

Well, back to work this week.  This is my last week up here till May, and have to get all the files off my desk, so it really is work work work.  Nonetheless, one must have lunch, no?


Continuing with the ethnic theme (I had dim sum at the Continental - they still have the carts - with Lois yesterday), Randy, Bea and I had lunch at one of our favourite Japanese joints today.

And I will leave you with some pictures of my place here in Steveston....












...and a reminder that Nora's Steveston B & B will be open again in May, and awaiting the pleasure of your company!

No comments:

Post a Comment