Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Imagine! Spring break, at my age!

Yes, a break from classes, at least the academic kind.  Which, of course, leaves more time for bridge. And even bridge classes.  The infamous (to bridge players, that is) Larry Cohen was at our bridge club. to give some lessons on Wednesday the 26th and Thursday the 27th of March.


What can I tell you??  I am in love.  He refused to marry me, however (I asked), being happily married to a non-Jewish woman half his age, who, unfortunately for me, is very nice.  Great teacher, though, and just my style.  Maybe I'll turn into a good bridge player yet!

Lots of other people there too, of course.  Below, pictures of some of my special favourites.  


You'll recognize my friend Robin, above, and her partner of the day





Who knows?  Maybe some day I'll do one of Larry's bridge cruises.  Anyway, I played on Wednesday with another student, and we actually got some points, which is not bad considering I was playing with a complete stranger.

On Friday the 28th, I went to a benefit, put on by the Osher School (which puts on my classes) and the American Documentary Film Institute.  Normally, I don't do such things, but the film they were doing was called I Live to Sing, about three black singers from the townships in South Africa, who, with the ending of apartheid, were actually able to attend music school in Cape Town and study opera.







Not only was the film heartwarming, but these kids (one soprano, one tenor, one base baritone) have fabulous voices!  And they were filmed preparing for a performance of Tales of Hoffman, one of my new faves.  And after the film, they took to the stage of the theater for a (brief) live performance and Q & A.  (This is Palm Springs.  There is always a Q & A.)  I've been around long enough to know some of the people at the event (including the Opera Lady pictured above,who brought the Met in HD to Palm Springs), and was happy to meet some new ones, including the son of Fred Waring, of Fred Waring and the Pennsylvanians (are some of you old enough to remember them?)  Anyway, my kind of people, and a great evening!

Saturday morning, there was a party of Palm Springs in Ruth Hardy park.  It was a lovely day to be in the park...









Even met people I knew there too!  It really is like a small town here, in a whole lot of ways!

And there was even enough day left for me to have some quality pool time....


Sunday, it was back to bridge.  I played with Art and another couple, something they call Swiss Teams (bridge players know what I mean, I won't bore the rest of you with the details).  I know, I know, what were we doing inside on such a beautiful day.  Truthfully, though, one of our infamous winds came up, and the outdoors was not fit for golf, tennis or the pool, or even the deck, so bridge it was, and once again we placed in the top three, giving us points and making Art very, very happy.

Finished out the week with Judith, Ellie and Tom, all from the gym, coming over for coffee, and to ooh and aah over the renovations, and, last night, dinner with friend Dru.


Dru is just passing through, on the way from Puerto Vallarta to Vancouver, with a brief stopover in Palm Springs.  Oh, what a tough life we lead.

And that was the week that was.  The good news - good friends, good books, good bridge, and, this coming week, back to good classes.  And the renovations are finally done done done (and no, I will not take a picture of the shower.  Or maybe next time.)  The bad news?  Still no passport, so I may have to stay here longer.  Oh, poor me.....

  

No comments:

Post a Comment