Saturday, May 24, 2014

back to work, and other things.....

So, I arrived home on the evening of May 6, and several hours later, suitcase unpacked, car started, groceries in, mail read, I was ready for a new season  By May 7 I was back to work, a new password but all else was the same!!!  And, of course, that evening I was back to bridge with the boys - we are creatures of habit, aren't we? - and the requisite round of lunches with colleagues and friends filled out the rest of the week.

...and, of course, dim sum at Fisherman's Terrace with Joyce and Sheila on Saturday...





I had noticed in the paper that Verdi's Don Carlo was playing at the Vancouver Opera on Saturday night, and decided to go.  I haven't been to the Vancouver Opera for a long time, for any number of reasons.  For one thing, our illustrious mayor, Gregor Robertson, what with his dedicated bike lanes and all - has made it almost impossible to park down town.  Anyway, the Vancouver Opera hasn't been all that good recently.  But Don Carlo isn't played that often, it was the last opera in the season, and it had gotten good reviews, so off I went.  Actually, it was lovely, well staged, well sung and well played by the orchestra.A lovely evening.

Sunday was Mothers Day.  Friend Robin's mother died Sunday at 93, after lingering for a number of years in a nursing home.  So, first Mothers Day without her mother.....I thought maybe a long walk on Crescent Beach near her home was in order....


(In mourning or not, she is still drop-dead gorgeous, isn't she?)





On Wednesday, I headed down to Seattle after work, met friend Arlene for dinner at a favourite Thai place, and went to the opera.  Seattle, at least, has rush seats for seniors, and for $40 I scored a $200 ticket, orchestra, 7th row, center aisle!  Yeah for old age!  They were doing Tales of Hoffman.  Although it has been having somewhat of a revival in local opera houses in recent seasons, this is another one that they don't perform very often, and it is a new favourite (I freely acknowledge that it is a particularly silly opera, but the music is pretty glorious.).  Anyway, it was lovely - again, staging, costumes, singing were all well done, and aside from having had my car towed from a perfectly legal parking space (found a cab, found a cop to tell me where the car had been towed, found the car and liberated, all in a half hour, which I anyway had saved by the cab expeditiously getting me out of the opera traffic jam), had an uneventful ride home. (And yes, I am fighting the ticket and the tow!!) And I wonder why I am tired by the end of the week!!!

Friday evening, Tom and I had our first theater night, going to Jericho Beach to see one of our favourite theater companies - Fighting Chance Productions (don't you just love the name?) do the musical Spring Awakening.



(That's Tom in front, with friend Arthur and his wife, who we ran into at the theater...)



 It is a pretty silly play, and in any event meant for people a lot younger than we are, but the actors were young, and beautiful, with lovely voices, and I do love a musical.....  (on the other hand, it does make me cranky to see that many young and pretty things all together....)

And Sunday, another dim sum, same place, this time with (Canadian, as opposed to formerly mentioned American) Arlene...


Okay, that's enough dim sum for the moment (we really pigged out, I tell you!!).

And Thursday, I was back to bridge at Duplicate Lite, the ACBL sanctioned game in White Rock where Robin and I play whenever we can.  It was great to see all the folks again - it really is a good group of people - and, all in all, Robin and I played reasonably well, which is always a bonus!  I also found a few people to play with in the bridge sectional in Burnaby next weekend, so there is more bridge in my (and therefore your) future.

So that brings you up to date.  We're at the weekend again, and after doing my (admittedly few) Dottie Domestic chores, I will be back in the office (hey, it's raining anyway!!), and will catch up with you again soon.

I will leave you with some Steveston pictures.  I haven't sorted out a new gym opportunity, so have contented myself with walking around Gerry Point every evening.


















Not too shabby, eh?

Two bookstores in Richmond are closing, so I had a shopping opportunity this week, and a new pile of reading on my nightstand.  More on that next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment