Saturday, March 21, 2015

Errors and Omissions, Hits and Misses

First, the omission.  Just a late incoming picture from our last dim sum in Vancouver on February 28th.  Normally, I wouldn't bother, but, for a change, it is actually a good one of me.



(That's friend Sheila on the left.  Sheila and Joyce are arriving tomorrow for a visit.  But that is a post for another day....)

The error?  I got the name of the David Hare play wrong in my last post.  It is called "Beyond the Beautiful Forevers", and, by the way, it has grown on me in retrospect, as far as I am concerned, the sign of a good play.  I am still thinking about it, after all.

Oh, yes, another omission.  Two weeks ago, there was a great article (among many, of course) in the Sunday New York Times.  It was about a "happy gene", which occurs in about 20% of the human race.  What does it do?  It produces a state of "euphoria" if you will, somewhat like smoking pot (What would I know about that?) and, more to the point in my case, it makes you forget about bad experiences, leaving only the good ones rattling around in ones brain.  I have always said I only remember the good stuff, and I have always said it was genetic.  Vindicated!  (And yes, someday, dear readers, I will figure out how to provide you with links to my favourite articles.  Bill O, do you make house calls?)

There were several potential experiences that I missed this week.  I didn't go to the St Patties day "do" in our complex, foregoing the pleasure (not!) of corned beef and cabbage.  The "do" was on Saturday, and I had gotten too much sun at the pool that day,came back, dressed, and sat down on the chaise on my patio to rest for a few minutes before walking down to the club house.  Two hours later, I woke up, with the party half over.  I opted for cheese and crackers for dinner instead.  (I revel in eating cheese down here - it is so much cheaper than it is in Canada, one can actually afford to buy lots of good cheeses - and I do!)  Oh well.  Next year.

Another miss was the art exhibit opening at the new Architecture and Design Museum downtown.  I actually made it there.



Now, admittedly, I had been running around all day and was still in my (if I must say, reasonably fashionable) gym clothes.  Not dressed  up, but not looking like a homeless person either.  Well, when I arrived, the entry was still barred, and some officious person came out to say, in a huff, that the museum was closed to the general public.  When I told her that I knew that, that I was a member, and that I had been invited, she sniffed "well, how was I to know?".  At which point, I told her that she couldn't have known, which is why she should treat everyone as members until she found out otherwise, and stomped out.  I heard later (a lot of the people from bridge and/or the opera also go to the art "do's", that it was a really good lecture, although not such a good exhibit.  Oh well.  That will learn me not to be so huffy!!!

However, there were some hits this week as well, to balance out the misses.  First, I went to the Metropolitan Opera in HD, to see (and, of course, hear) Rossini's "Donna del Lago".  It is based on a story, Lady of the Lake, by Sir Walter Scott, and is an opera which I neither seen nor heard before, a "belt notch", so to speak.  And a delightful one, too, great voices, great sets, a cast of thousands just meant for the Met Chorus.  Anyway, all in all, a wonderful experience in a sold out house.

I also went to two classes at the bridge center, given by Eddie Kantor.

Here's me and Eddie.....



Those of you who play bridge know that he is a legend in the bridge world, and, indeed, was a mentor to my very favourite bridge writer, Barbara Seagram (A Canadian, and good friend of my friend and fellow bridge player Tom, in one of those "small world" things.)  Anyway, legend or not, he is probably getting to be past his "best by" date, so if I was ever going to see his, this was the time.  So I signed up, and am very glad I did.  Not only is he a very funny man, he is also a great teacher, with common sense advice for better bidding and playing.  I very much enjoyed it, and, with any sort of luck, will actually retain some of it!

Another hit was Renee Fleming, giving a recital at the McCallum Theater.  In spite of coming here for - is it six years now? - I had never been to the McCallum.  This finally got me to make the effort, especially since friends robin and Grant were anxious to join me.










As a rule, I am not fond of recitals, and this one was no exception.  However, Renee Fleming is still lovely, still in full voice, and very personable.  And Robin is always so enthusiastic and appreciative, it is always a pleasure to do anything with her.  Once again, a good time was had by all.

And, yet another hit, drinks and talk with friends John and Jim White.  In yet another of those "small world" things, I had connected with them at the Donna del Lago performance.  Dr. White was our doctor in Vancouver before David died, and had become a friend over the years (I will not ever forget the trouble he took scouring used book stores to find a book about old airplanes for David's 72nd - and last - birthday party.  By the way he was recommended to me originally by Michael and Barbara, who were friends because they knew my first husband Jeffrey's secretary in Toronto and we were told to look them up when we got to Vancouver.  And so it goes.)  Anyway, when I saw them at the theater, I told them to call, and come over for drinks.  That happened last evening...



We ate some more of that good cheese, drank wine, talked opera, theater and life in general, and had altogether a good time.  I hope to see them at least one more time before they leave for Vancouver.

So.  That was my week.  I did finish the biography of Benjamin Britten I was reading, and found myself getting teary at his death.  Interesting, though, that at the same time (in the 50's) they were chemically castrating Alan Turing in Britain for being homosexual, Britten and his partner, the great tenor Peter Pears, were living an openly gay (although admittedly not flamboyant - they were not found cruising in a lavatory, as Turing apparently was) life in the self same Britain.  The difference between the arts and government!

Have started reading (yes, again, for my sharp-eyed readers) "The Bully Pulpit" by Doris Kearns Goodwin.  Although she (along with David McCullough) is among my favourite history writers, the book did not capture me the first time, and I ultimately put it down after some 100 pages.  This time, though, I am rapt, and will finish it, I think, with dispatch.  It is about the relationship between Theodore Roosevelt, William Howard Taft, and the muckraking journalists who were so effecting government at the time

For lighter fare, I have started "The Never List", a thriller by new author Koethi Zan (what kind of a name is that?), which also seems like it will be a winner.

Well, it is Saturday morning.  No gym, no bridge; I will have an early lunch (or, if you prefer, a late breakfast), and head to the pool, and so will bid you, my faithful readers, adieu.

No comments:

Post a Comment