Sunday, December 20, 2015

Bridge, bridge and more bridge.

I tried to go back to the previous post to download pictures.  I really did. I even tried to complain to Google - they didn't let me (since they know everything,maybe whey will contact me after reading this post...).  No luck, so you will have to make do with prose, until someone finally lets them know that the programmers, once again, have "fixed"what wasn't broken.

Pity, too, as there were some good photos for this post,  Oh, well.  A planned smallish cocktail party at my place turned into a holiday party - if you are going to make appys for 4 you might as well make them for 14, I figure.  I made my signature sweet and sour meatballs (ah, that used to be David's job, making the meatballs....), deviled eggs, spinach and avocado dip and (too much) more.  A good assortment of people, the juke box playing Christmas music, good food, good wine, and a general appreciation that all was well in our benign little world.  Also, a realization, by some of us, at least, that we have to be better, on a day to day basis, about keeping up our friendships.






This was the also week of the bridge tournament, and I played six days out of seven - and scored points every day!!!  I played with different people every day too, and that was interesting.  Palm Springs puts on what is considered to be the best of the regional tournaments, and it really was a blast.  Not the same without friend Art, though, who continues to remain under the weather. Everyone asked about him, and we all hope he will be back to the game in the new year.




In between, there were two more social occasions.  I had dinner with friend Ken (who was also at the party, but I didn't get a chance to talk to him) at our favourite local Mexican joint, Las Tablitas.






 We were supposed to go to Opera in the Movies after, but after busy days (he, giving tours at the Palms Springs Art Museum, me, playing two sessions at the tournament) we were both bagged.  We spent time lingering over margaritas and fish tacos instead, glad to have time to reconnect.

And on Friday, friend Howard (our fearless leader at the gym circuit every morning) had a few people over for brisket and potato latkes, a sort of belated Hannuka party.  He's just moved in to a new place, in a lovely complex not too far from from mine (oh, for some pictures...), and it was fun to inaugurate his new place.







And, of course, bridge or no bridge, the reading goes on.  Alexander McColl Smith (he of the First Lady's Detective Agency fame) has a new book out, his take on Jane Austen's Emma.  It is a lovely, gentle book, which I very much enjoyed  T.C. Boyle, another of my favourite authors, also has a new book out.  It is called The Harder They Fall, and gentle is not exactly the adjective I would use.  However, it is a brilliant take on the violence of the American character, and it is another book that gets two thumbs up.  Next was Phillipa Gregory's The Taming of the Queen.  Historical "chic-lit" fans will know that she writes historical pot boilers about British royalty, this one about Katherine Parr, Henry VIII's sixth wife the one who lived to tell the tale.  Atrocious writing; nonetheless, I couldn't put it down.  Finally another Geraldine Brooke offering, this one called The Lost Chord, the story of King David (I have read two of her previous books, The People of the Book and March, the latter about The Little Women's father, both of which I enjoyed.  Another good one.

In short, a week of sunshine, good friends, good bridge, and good books.  What could be better?

Friend Peter is coming from San Francisco on Tuesday, always a welcome guest for our now traditional end of the year visit.

Meanwhile, to all a happy non-denominational holiday, and a healthy, happy, and prosperous new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment