Sunday, April 17, 2016

.....something old, something new......

Back so soon?  Well, it helps that there has been a bit less frenetic activity this week.

First, some additional pictures from last week, contributed by friends for posting...



I have gotten heaps of accolades on the party.  I guess it will be back again by popular demand.  But maybe not next year.

So what have I been doing this week?  Well, there have been two opera opportunities, both at the movies.  On Monday evening there was an HD presentation of Berlioz' Faust from the Paris Opera.  This is not really an opera, but, rather, a series of vignettes on the general theme of....so, rather odd, but glorious music, and definitely worth seeing, especially as I had not seen it before.  And yesterday was the next-to-the-last Met opera simulcast, Roberto Deveroux, a Donizetti opera that is so rarely staged that as best as I can understand it, even the Met has not done it before.  Well, it was glorious, the music, the singing, the orchestra, the costumes, the sets, the staging, everything.  If you get a chance to see it, do.  But bring a handkerchief.....

There were the usual gym, zumba and bridge outings....

And one movie, Hello, My Name is Doris, with Sally Fields and Tyne Daly, among others.  It is supposed to be a comedy, about an older woman who falls for a younger - much, much younger - man.  I found it cringe making.  I didn't see it as a liberation from societal restraints.  I found it painful to watch someone making an ass of herself in order to try to grab some affection in her life.  I don't know how much that says about the movie or how much that says about me, and my inability to live life as large as I would have liked to, and making an ass of myself be damned.  But I was very sad - maybe even troubled...when I left the movie.....

This week was the start of the spring semester for the Osher classes (I will miss the end, as I am leaving the desert on May 16).  It was a week of "shorts", three hour seminars on Techie Talk, The Lost City of Atlantis, and My Beethoven (what a combination!).  All were quite informative in their different ways.  Atlantis, for example.  I don't think I have ever given it a minute's thought; now, well, I think there will be a few books on the subject in my future.  Upcoming full length courses include the second part of America and Islam, and another course on understanding movies.

Speaking of books, I left you last time with promises about sharing my current book list.  Nothing terribly intellectual this time, with two exceptions.  I read a few of Martha Grimes Richard Jury mysteries, and one "mystery" by Bruce Alexander, where the "mysteries" are investigated by a blind magistrate in England in the 19th century.  (I liked it well enough to get another out of the library Thursday.)  The first exception is The Fall of the Ottomans: The Great War in the Middle East.  Well, that is heavy going, not to mention depressing.  I think that will be a long term project.  The other exception is a book called Not in God's Name, by Rabbi Jonathan Sacks.  Wow.  It is an attempt to explain terror and killing in the name of god, and it is as good an explanation as I have ever read.  He promises to give a solution, but I haven't gotten there yet.  I think it is a "must read" for people looking for an answer to "why?".  I will try to remember to give you the answer next time.  Meanwhile, bless libraries, for confronting you with books you would ordinarily not read.

And the week ended with an abbreviated round of social events.  Thursday, I had dinner at Geoff and Tom's, probably the last I will see of them til I get back to Vancouver (where they also have a place - I can't say live, none of us live anywhere, or, better said, we all live everywhere).






Geoff has put the Palm Springs place on the market, the plan being to use the money tied up in real estate to travel instead.  A good plan, but meanwhile, we enjoyed the garden, the pool, the lights and the view, not to mention the barbeque.  And, for you scoffers, that is actually kale on my plate, and I actually ate it.  (However, if you put enough butter and garlic on anything it becomes edible.  I don't plan on making a habit of it!).  No really, it was a great dinner, and great conversation.  They are a valuable addition to my friendships here in the desert.

On Friday, I played bridge with Sandra, an old acquaintance but a new partner.  We retired to her place afterwards to lick our wounds (no, we didn't make any points, but, on the other hand, we didn't kill each other either.)  She has had a condo here since 1997, not too far from my place and very lovely.  (Sorry, I was too busy drinking her wine to take pictures.Next time.)

And finally, last night, another party at our complex, to celebrate jointly a number of recent (and upcoming) 80th birthdays.....









.....as you can see, the theme was Italian...


.....and Dick (one of celebrants) cooked up a great lasagna (antipasta, salads and garlic bread were contributed - there was enough garlic in the air to vanquish an army of vampiers...)






It was a great party.  I met a number of neighbors I had not met before, and, for a change, everyone dressed up for the occasion.  It was a great end to the week.

A few sad notes.  I found out from friend Hank that Bob Hyman, a former colleague from the Bank of America recently died.  And, closer to home, George, the long-time (33 years I am thinking?) husband and best friend of former colleague and friend Carolyn, died on Saturday at the age of 87, with Stage IV lymphoma.  Carolyn, is, of course, devastated.  I haven't seen them often in recent years (they lived in the boonies in Northern California), but we have always been in touch, and I have always been grateful for their ongoing support.  I am sorry it is my turn to provide the support, although I will happily do what I can.  I am shaken, though - too close.

And now that I have finished this post, I am off to the pool.  Not too many pool days left to work on that tan......

No comments:

Post a Comment