Sunday, April 1, 2018

Trying to live in the moment

The weather has turned glorious, or, I should say, even more glorious, the days hot, the evenings balmy.  Instead of bemoaning the fact that I am leaving at the end of the month, I am trying to be aware of and enjoy each and every day.

In spite of my saying last time that this was not going to be a busy week, well, life intervened.

The musicals class on Tuesday went out with a bang, including talk about - and, of course, music from, Hair, Bob Fosse's contributions (Pajama Game - who knew? - Damn Yankees - ditto - Chicago, and All that Jazz), and Hamilton (amazingly enough, I was one of the few people in the class who had seen it).

Final recommendation on this:  Hamilton:  One Shot to Broadway, An Unauthorized Documentary.  Available on Netflix, I think.

Got a call from colleagues and friends Elaine and Andrew, in town for their annual outing.  I love them both madly - they have an appreciation for life, and know how to live it.  They chose the restaurant, Watercress, new to me, a Vietnamese restaurant down town.


Liked the decor; the food and service, not so much.  But the company was outstanding.  We caught up on the gossip from Vancouver, and all things Palm Springs, and laughed a lot, confirming the opinion of all three of us that Palm Springs is our happy place.

Wednesday morning, I had yet another food outing.  Barbara Seagram and hubby Alex (you might have noticed that, generally speaking, I do not use last names or other identifiers on this blog, for purposes of privacy.  However, Barbara is such a public figure - renowned Canadian Bridge teacher and guru - that I make an exception in her case, which I think falls under the rubric of "There is no such thing as bad publicity".) wanted to take the other Alex and me out to breakfast as a thank you for aforementioned book sales.  Alex's wife Vicki joined us (we ate at the Palms Cafe in Palm Desert, another new-to-me restaurant, but this one could be added to my list of go-to breakfast places) and we had quite a lively time.


Barbara and Alex are on the left, Vicki and Alex on the right.

Wednesday evening, met friends Marvin and Geoff at the Desert Rose Theater.  As I think I have mentioned before, this is our LGBTQ theater group.  Their theme this season is Romance:  Real or Imagined, and this was the weirdest offering yet, Edward Albee's The Goat, or Who is Sylvia.  Extra credit to anyone who has seen it before; I certainly had not.  (The only Albee play I have ever seen was Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf.)  Did you know that Albee also worked on Breakfast at Tiffany's - The Musical?  Who knew?  The ads refer to this play as "shocking" and "provocative".  Provocative, maybe; shocking, not so much these days.  Anyway, well acted and directed, and it was great fun to have friends there to discuss it with after.

It was a roller coaster week for bridge, from highs of winning to the lows of coming in last, and enlivened by fellow-bridge-player Carolyn's Easter chapeau ....


.........and still more bridge lessons from everyone's favourite director, Jamie...


I did manage to finish two more books, one a piece of fluff, the other less so.  The piece of fluff - Elizabeth Peters The Painted Queen.  This is her last - she recently died - in the series about an intrepid Egyptologist and his equally intrepid wife.  I love them all for their backdrop of Egypt at the turn of the last century, when all the great archaeological finds were being made.  God, I hate it when your authors die on you.....

Next was a re-read of The Stone Diaries, by Carol Shield, a Canadian author.  I had read it many years - decades? - ago, but it was much more meaningful this time around, dealing as it does with the death of a matriarch, and, more to the point, the review of her life.  I was glad to reconnect with it.

And, finally, today's quote:  Life isn't about finding yourself.  it is about creating yourself."  Who wrote it?  George Bernard Shaw.

More next week.  Who would have thought there was so much to do in this sleepy little backwater?

No comments:

Post a Comment