Tuesday, May 8, 2018

She's Baack - Again

I know, it has been too long, but it has been a busy and tiring and emotionally draining few weeks.  Indeed, I don't feel much like writing now.  However....

The week before I left Palm Springs was busier than I meant it to be.  For some reason, a lot of bridge was played.  Then there were the "last suppers" before I left.  These started with sometime bridge partner and new friend Sue...



Mexican was the obvious choice - I won't be getting any of that any time soon - so we went to Las Tablitas, my local go-to place for Mexican.  It was great, as usual, and it was good to get to know Sue in a bit more depth than one can manage at the bridge table.

Then there was dinner with Geoff.  He was batching it - his partner Marvin was off traveling - so we did dinner and Scrabble at his lovely (as you can see) place.




You can certainly see why they are ga ga over their dog Benji.  Even I have to admit he's cute, ill behaved as he is....




Also got a last minute visit from colleague and friend Lois and her hubby Alf.  They were, as always, easy guests, and I was thrilled to see them, even if only briefly.

Here. we are visiting my old standby, the Annenberg Estates (aka Sunnylands) ....





Yes, you are seeing that right.  It is a totem pole.  They (the Annenbergs) apparently saw one when visiting Canada, and had to have their own.  It must be nice to have money.....


And then it was time to leave.  I love everything about Palm Springs, even the airport....





Usually, by this time of year, I am ready to leave Palm Springs.  It is starting to get warm, and, really, I am ready to get back to work.  This year, not so much.

However, the trip back was as it should be - i.e., short and uneventful, and friend John was at the airport to meet me.  And  I loved seeing the renovations to my place which had been done in my absence.  (Pictures to follow.)

One thing I did miss in Palm Springs was Asian food.  So, no surprise, I arrived Saturday and had dim sum with colleague and friend Paul the next day.....


And then, back to the office on Monday.  Although it was great to see my colleagues, bad news quickly squelched my budding good humour.  No work, or at least not very much, and likely to be that way for the foreseeable future.  I quickly cancelled travel plans for 2019 - too late to cancel Russia for this year - I can't keep doing these expensive trips (Galapagos, Bayreuth and the Adriatic had been planned for 2019) without the extra income.  So, between that downer, and catching up with dental appointments, doctor's visit, filing taxes, sorting 6 months accumulation of mail, not to mention the rain - well, you can see why I wasn't terribly happy to be back.

A couple of bright spots lit up the week, though, including coffee with friend Eric, lunch with friend Mickey (in spite of long spaces between visits, our friendship seems to deepen each year), and bridge and sushi over at John's

....and, of course, another dim sum with friend Joyce.. 


You might notice a few of the usual suspects are missing - People have moved, as they do (no, no , deaths in this group yet).  Joyce and I had a good time catching up, though more people is always better for dim sum.

Got back to walking every night by the river...

Finally, some musical outings. Eugene Onegin, an opera by Tchaikovsky, was very well done by the Vancouver Opera, and I enjoyed the company of Judith, Caroline and Jack.  Really, grand opera in the grand style, just the way I like it.  Quote for the evening:  Routine is a gift from god sent to replace happiness....

The trouble with the opera, though, as I have said before, is that the intensity spoils you for real life.

And Monday, the Symphony, again with Jack, with De Falla and Ravel on the program, once again proving my theory that friends are a gift from god (this time, Jack) to drag you kicking and screaming to see and hear things you wouldn't do on your own.  Ravel was actually quite the revelation.  Not my favourite piece by a long shot, but very well done here, and with the outstanding solos, quite visual too.  Another wonderful evening.

So, getting sleepy, almost time for bed.  A few more items. 

Quite a change in the flora (note the absence of palm trees...)







Finally, by the end of 10 days. I have come back to being my usual glass half full kind of gal.  Perhaps it will not be an altogether bad thing for my to stop using the office for my social life and to develop one of my own.  In any event, I am willing to try. 

More anon....

No comments:

Post a Comment