Saturday, April 13, 2019

Galapagos, The Prequel

I can't believe I haven't written since February 14th.  My apologies.  In this way, as in so many others, the season has gotten away from me - it has just flown by.  That's the bad news.  The good news is, because it has been so long since I've written, maybe you won't notice if I repeat myself.

A few days after I last wrote, friend John and I, and select family and friends, took a boat out towards Catalina and scattered the ashes of Jim, John's partner and my friend.  He had died a few weeks earlier of COPD, or, more accurately, of smoking.  It was actually quite lovely.  John had me read his eulogy - he didn't think he could get through it without breaking down - and everyone said something funny or warm or touching by which they would remember Jim.  And his ashes floated away with the white roses we tossed in after them.

I'll have to do what friend Ray is quite deliberately doing - meet younger people, so there is someone around to toss me.  Problem is, I did not like young things even when I was younger......

But, as is the way of these things, life goes on.  I tried to touch base with John more often than I might otherwise have done to make sure he was okay, and just to listen.  We went out to eat several times - my favourite Mexican, his favourite Thai, the new Greek that he hadn't tried and that I like so well.  And we started to play bridge together - Jim had not only been John's lover and best friend, he had been his bridge partner as well,  The bridge partner part is at least replaceable,,,,,

And then the bridge boys came up to visit from Vancouver.  Tom, John and Dennis all seem to enjoy it (they have been doing it for a number of years now), and the 5 days flew be in a whirl of shopping for exotic beer (I'm never sure whether they come to see me or Trader Joe's), cooking - followed, of course, by eating - and, the ostensible purpose of the trip - bridge, It was, as always, a great visit - at least for me, and it seemed like the boys enjoyed it too!!!

In the middle of all that, I was scheduled for my wellness exam, the annual examination provide for seniors by the Medicare supplement plan.  So, lab tests were undertaken, technicians and doctors were consulted, memory and mood were tested.  The result?  Looks like I will be around to annoy you all for at least a little while longer, barring my getting hit by a truck!

So, what else?  In addition to the usual round of bridge and classes, there was also....

The LA Philharmonic.  I finally found someone willing to make the trek to LA on a Sunday, this time for the LA Phil (the LA opera didn't strike me as worth the drive this year).  The LA Phil, with Dudamel conducting, on the other hand....)  The program was Mahler's Ninth.  So, not only was Sue willing to drive to LA (in her nice, comfy SUV, no less), but wanted to hear Mahler!!!  A new culture maven buddy!  And it was a great concert, too.  We will do more next season, I am sure....

We followed up the next week with a Friends of the Philharmonic here in Palm Desert the following week, where the Academy of St. Martin in the Fields was putting on a great program, which included Albinoni, Bach, Mozart, Benjamin Britten and Hayden.  The Friends of the Philharmonic weren't even on my radar; well, they are now.  I'm afraid next season will be even busier than ever!!!

To round out the cultural events, Coachella Valley Rep put on their first play in their new venue - which happens to be in a converted movie theater about five minutes from my place.  It was their most ambitious offering ever (in my experience), the musical Chess, with lyrics by Tim Rice (he of Joseph and the Amazing Many Colored Dream Coat, Jesus Christ Superstar, Evita, and, of course, Cats).  It was everything a musical should be.  Not Broadway, of course - even with their new, larger digs, the stage isn't all that big - but lots of enthusiasm and talent and loads of fun.

And, finally, back to the serious stuff.  Well, not too serious.  Met in the Movies did La Fille Du Regiment, a piece of fluff by Donizetti.  It is not even on my top ten list of favourite operas - I don't like farce in any form (I was born serious, I guess) - but it got such great buzz - the tenor, Javier Camarena, did an encore of his great aria at every performance (unheard of at the Met - encores, that is) that I had to see it.  Friend Sue (see LA Phil above) was game, and it was a good way to introduce friend (and bridge partner) Alex and his wife Vickie to opera.  We made an evening of it, and everyone - including me - loved it.  Pretty Yende (yes, that is her real - or at least her stage - name), the hot new African soprano was great as well, and Stephanie Blythe (a once-great soprano now getting a bit long in the tooth) and Kathleen Turner both had wonderful cameo roles, and it was just a lot of fun!  Both Sue and Alex will due it again (Vickie remains to be seen...),

That's it.  And then, after my by now usual fretting, I was off to the Galapagos.  I'll leave that for another post, hopefully when I get back from bridge later this afternoon.  And to compensate you all for reading this text without pictures - well, there will be lots of them.  Stay tuned....

No comments:

Post a Comment