Sunday, January 12, 2020

She's Alive, She's Alive!!!

Yes, it has been six weeks.  I do have an excuse, though.  My computer died.  It was close to 10 years old, and didn't owe  me anything.  However, for me, buying a computer (or a phone, for that matter) is just as bad as buying a car.  What kind? (anything but Apple) How big?  (laptop or tablet?)  How much memory?  Touch screen or keyboard? Normally, I would ask Zach, my computer guru (yes I have one) to help me, but I he is going through some personal issues, and wasn't available. Ultimately, I ended up waiting for another computer friend to visit, so that I could get some expert advice.  but I'm getting  ahead of myself.  Suffice it to say I have a new computer, and will try to bring you up do date (posting pictures may have to wait for another day...)

Where were we when we last spoke - the end of November, it seems to me.  American Thanksgiving, which I spent at home in my pajamas.  I had an invitation - Barbara, my zumba instructor and possible new friend - but it was raining buckets (yes, in the  Desert - it does that every once in a while, and when it does, any number of roads are impassible), and I couldn't risk getting stranded.  So alone with lamb chops and pasta it was.  I did remember to be thankful, however, for good friends and good health, and an altogether good life!

December was a whirl of bridge and entertaining.  Our regional bridge tournament is in early December.  I had a good time, but wasn't very successful in advancing toward Life Master status.  (Indeed, it was a total bust for me!)  However, friend Tom, in town for the tournament, stayed with me for a few days, and it was a lovely visit.  We cooked up a storm, and talked and talked....

Lots of entertaining, as always in December, both at home and out.  I made dinner at home for Lou and Caroline, followed by Scrabble.  Sue and I tried a new (for us, that is) Mexican restaurant called Salsa.  It came recommended by friend John, but we didn't care for it much.  Two memorial dinners -  December 9,   I had dinner with husband David on his birthday, as I have done every year since his death.  Some of you will remember that it is always the same - prime rib and bourbon - David's two favourite food groups - and it gives me a special time to remember how lucky I was to have had him.

The second memorial dinner was later that week, in honour of friend Jim, who died last year.  His partner John arranged a dinner at John Henry's, Jim's favourite restaurant, and we lifted a glass to him.

Finally, our gym group had a holiday outing at Woodie's, a Palm Springs institution, great jazz and great hamburgers.  There were about twenty of us, and a good time was had by all.

Several musical events of interest.  The Opera Guild put on auditions for beginning singers who were vying for stipends, two sopranos, one mezzo, two tenors and two baritones.  There were judges, of course, but one stipend was awarded to the "people's choice".  I am a sucker for a baritone - and my choice won the People's Choice award.  Yeah! 

My Lifelong Learning Institute put together an outing to LA to hear the LA Phil.  Interesting program:  Rimsky-Korsakov, Tchaikovsky and Copeland.  I took a lovely picture of Disney Hall, but pictures will have to wait until I can get instructions for editing them on this computer.  Finally, a reprise of the Met's English language version of The Magic Flute.  I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was actually lovely.  Well, Mozart is always lovely, but this production - Julie Taymore of Lion King fame was the producer and director - was particularly spectacular.  (The singers were great too!)

Friend Peter visited for Christmas, as he does every year.  Another great visit - we did next to nothing, except cook and eat and sit in the sunshine (oh, I guess we went to the art museum....) and plan for our upcoming opera travels (Chicago in April for the Ring and Bayreuth in August - for - wait for it - the Ring.)

New year's eve was quiet - I haven't gone out on the town in decades - and for those of you who I haven't spoken to, I wish you all a happy, healthy, and prosperous new year. 

Well, as noted, I will post the pictures next time.  And although I promised a complete catch up, I don't have the patience for more computer travails right now.  Next time, and I promise it won't be quite so long.  I'll have some thoughts too on friendship, deaths (there have been some), and, of course, lots of books.  Til then....   






No comments:

Post a Comment