Sunday, March 29, 2020

Quarantine, Day 10

Ah, the inevitable trade off; lots of time to write, but nothing to write about.

I must be more stressed than I realize - or maybe the book just isn't very good.  Everyone Brave is Forgiven remains half read - I keep picking it up just before I go to sleep, and re-reading the same two paragraphs.  Time to try a new book; perhaps the first two Hilary Mantell books before the third arrives?

Meanwhile, still lots of magazines to wade through.  The pile is dwindling, as they are selective reads; a lot of the Economist articles are past their best-by date, and the New Yorker has always been a crap shoot.  The articles are always well written, of course, but some interest me more than others, and some interest me not at all (the pop culture articles generally get a pass).

There was an interesting article about the incessantly cheerful woman who feels no pain (chicken or egg?)  Her genes are being studied do that the condition can be replicated (the no pain part, not the incessantly cheerful part), the thought being that the fight or flight response is not quite so necessary without saber-tooth tigers....interesting theory, no?

The other interesting article was on equality, and much to my shock, there was something I agreed with Trump on.  "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal..." is bullshit.  "Some people born smart, others not so much.  Some people are born beautiful, others, well, not so much."  It's equality of opportunity that matters, and that is not so easily managed.....

Some thoughts on the Corona virus...

The Hassidic Jews and Evangelical Christians have been doing the opposite of social distancing (the latter being congratulated personally by Trump for continuing to hold their revival type meetings).  If I ever were to wish death on anyone.....

The weather has turned rainy and cold, but I managed to dodge the raindrops this morning for a walk....






.......this is local, normally very busy pub at the mid-point of my walk, all shuttered up....



.....some signs of spring, though.....



.....I don't know, even after the quarantine is over, I don't think I will be rushing out to the grocery store.....



No comments:

Post a Comment