Saturday, August 22, 2020

Nostalgia

 I wonder if everyone is feeling this right now, sort of wistful, I guess.  Everything seems to remind me of something or someone else.  Tom Petty, long dead, of course, has just released (or I guess I should say that his estate has just released) a new single.  And I thought of Hank, of course, also long (June 2017) dead now, who was a big fan, and sitting in the bathroom in Hank`s apartment in San Francisco staring at the Tom Petty at the Filmore poster (along with many other rock concert posters.....)

A note from friend Jamie about the recurrence of her husband`s illness brought back meeting her in the 80`s, through Caroline Lyons (also long dead), and the times David and I spent with Jamie and Bob, on their boat, and in their apartment in Marin, and watching their very fat cat trying to squeeze through the cat door.....

And talking to friend Mickey on the phone reminded me of when we met 25 years ago now, colleagues sharing a `bull pen`` at work, watching cohort Carl napping at his desk every afternoon.

And on and on and on.....

I guess that is what happens when you are not out there making new memories, you just trot out the old ones.  I`m not complaining, mind you - I`m lucky to have so many old - and good - memories to trot out.  And now that a lot of the memory keepers are dead, I can shape those memories to my liking.

It used to distress me that my memory was so bad (funny, one thing I do remember if my father grousing about how bad his memory was....), until I realized that it is how you remember things that is important, not whether that is an accurate depiction of what really was.....

Just some musing for a Saturday morning, sitting on my patio watching the boats and planes soing by.....

No comments:

Post a Comment