Monday, May 10, 2021

Bid Changes

 So once again, it has been a month since I spoke to you, but for a change there is an excuse.  Big changes are happening.

I have decided to stay down in the Desert.  When we last spoke, I said that without work to draw me, I was feeling precious little pull to go back to Vancouver.  And, of course, Canada has made it very difficult for citizens to come home, requiring 3 COVID tests, a mandatory stay at a government-chosen hotel at a cost to me of $2000.00 plus, followed by a 14 day quarantine.  All of this in spite of the fact that I have had both shots of the vaccine.  

Meanwhile, a friend's son and his bride would like to house-sit  my apartment, my friend Paul has made my kitchen goods disappear, friend John and his moving and storage company have packed my books and clothes and whisked them into storage, my car in Vancouver has found a new home, and bob's your uncle, I can stay in the Desert.

Yes, the summers here are hot.  But that is why god created air conditioners, I am assuming.  And several other friends are spending their first summer here (one having moved from Michigan, the other from Brooklyn), and we are looking at sharing a house in Idyllwilde for a few months this summer.  It is an hour's drive from Palm Spring, but is in the surrounding mountain, and is about 30-35 degrees cooler than it is in Palm Springs in the summer.  We drove to Idyllwile today, and it is really a sweet town, with lots of restaurants, book stores and other little shops.  So we will see.

Meanwhile,  back in Palm Springs, almost everyone (and certainly every one I know) has been vaccinated - twice - and pretty nearly everything is open here in Palm Springs, with limitations - masking, hand washing, and distancing, so life is wonderful.  I have had several Scrabble "dates" with friend Michael, several dinners out - a new (to me) Vietnamese restaurant - called 533 - with friends John and Tom, a new (to me) Mexican restaurant - Las Casuelas -  with friend Sue, and dinner with a group - yes, you read that right - a group - of friends at the venerable Thunderbird Club.  Oh my god, how much fun was that.  

I know I am leaving my friends up North in the lurch, but I am hopeful that next year the borders will be open, and I will certainly be receiving guests.  

I know some of you are worried about the state of my health - having read my last post, I am not surprised.  I will no doubt not live forever  - nor do I want to - but I am feeling much better, and among my other accomplishments this last month, I have organized my pills on this side of the border, and generally, my ongoing health care is in place.  So, worry not, my friends.

Wish me well, folks, and I will keep you posted...



No comments:

Post a Comment