Friday, April 8, 2022

No April Showers here.....

Well, it's a start.....

These are the lasst grapefruits from the trees here, and I am very much enjoying my daily glass of goodness...


I've charged my camera, and have figured out how to download pictures from my phone.  Usually, the fact that Google is everywhere gives me the creeps, but the fact that pictures on my phone are also on my computer - no downloads or wires required - well, it's still pretty creepy, but damned convenient.

If I'm going to keep going out, I will have to start keeping a calendar again, so I can report back to you.  And I'll have to remember to document everything with pictures.



Getting up early for walks has benefits - see above for sunrise in our complex.  In any event it is my best time to day.  I alluded to the decline in my cheerfullness facttor in my last post.  In that respect too, mornings are my best time.  By late afternoon, I am remembering the slights of a lifetime.

Maybe I should start blogging in the morning?

What else can I tell you?  Took friend Scott and his bride Susie (and mutual friend Darren) out to dinner for Scott's birthday last week, and added another restaurant to my repertoire. It is called Guiseppe's, another great Italian restaurant here in the Desert.  Very low key, but good food and nice atmosphere.  I will definitely go again.

Lunch with Linda the following day, an acquaintance from bridge, who I've been trying to cultivate, but things like the pandemic and her husband's ongoing illness have intervened.  We finally, connected, though, and I think this will be ongoing.  I certainly hope so - I enjoyed our chat immensely,

Snowbirds are starting to leave, hence group pictures will be forthcoming...

 


....this is my aerobics class,.  (We've all migrated from zumba, pre-pandemic, so old friends by now.

(I should also mention that Dale and Mike, the two gentlemen in the back, had a party for the class a few weeks ago in their lovely home in Palm Springs.  I will have to remember to bring my camera - or at the very least, start using my phone......)

Most recently friends Caroline and Lou - had me over for lunch and Scrabble.  We play on line every day, but have always played face-to-face on occasion, and we enjoy our afternoons doing so.  They are heading back to Manitoba soon, so this was our last opportunity for a while....

I've managed to get some more reading done.  

Why We're Polarized, by Ezra Klein, talks about, well, why we're polarized.  It is not a happy-making book, but it is a plausible explanation, and those of you who know me know that this stuff  - i.e., why we behave as we do - fascinates.me.  Along the same lines is a book called Grit, by Angela Duckworth.  Her premise?  Talent is all very well and good, but the best predictor of success - in just about anything - is perseverance, in other words, grit,

(On a personal level, I wouldn't know anything about that.  I have been lucky that things came easily to me.  If they would have been hard, I never would have completed them.  On an intellectual level, however, I completely agree with her....)

In terms of fiction, I read Hanya Yanagihara's book called The People in the Trees.  I have read her  earlier book, A Little Life, and a later one, To Paradise.  They are unhappy books all - she must be one traumatized lady - but page turners every one.

Finally, I'm starting to re-read all the Nero Wolf mysteries - and, while I'm at it, to add those that I don't have to my collection.  They are great reads, and do their part to keep me out of mischief!

Ta ta for now....



No comments:

Post a Comment