Saturday, June 2, 2012

The Accidental Tourist

So, back in San Francisco, for a week anyway. 

A few left over pictures from Amsterdam.  First, a picture of those steep stairwells I was telling you about.  This is the one at our hotel...



Then, from a last evening walk around, a sight rarely, if ever seen in the North American continent any more, a living, working automat....







Finally, a road sign that took my fancy....



I mean, how often do you see a sign that tells you the road to Byzantium?

Back to San Francisco....

The problem with Hanks being such a Southern Gentlemen:  I worry that I take too much advantage.  There have been, after all, several glaring clues.  Hank's cat, who has shunned me for its seven year existence, has now decided to accept my apparently inevitable presence and is making nice.  The second clue is that all the guards at Hank's office building know me by name; by the time I have walked through the glass doors, they are calling Hank and asking whether they should let "Miss Nora" up!  So, I worry about outstaying my welcome, but Hank assures me I am welcome any time, and, thus, here I am.

I left you last on my arrival at SFO on Sunday, May 27, around noon.  In spite of the 9 hour time difference, I try to outwit jet lag by staying up until some sort of normal local bed time.  Hank, as usual, has scheduled entertainment.  To begin with, it is the 75th anniversary of the opening of the Golden Gat Bridge, so we head up to Twin Peaks, for a view of the bridge, and the city in general!






Can't tell that it was windy enough to blow us off the hill, can you?  Hank looks great, though, and it feels as close to home as anything!

We blow back down the hill and head to Mel's Diner for a late lunch (Hank actually suggested eating; far be it from me to dissuade him....) and a movie, Dark Shadows, directed by Tim Burton and with Johnnie Depp.  Those of you who know me know how unlike me this choice is, but it was my choice, and I actually enjoyed it.  I adore Johnnie Depp, and admire him for some of the quirky movies his pop star status has allowed him to make.  Tim Burton too; I am a - somewhat suprised - fan!  So, thumbs up from me on this one, although clearly not for everyone.

The social schedule goes on, and Monday Hank, friend Pat and I see The Avengers!  Yes, I know, I know, Nora watching an animated comic book - who would have thunk?  But do you know what, it was great fun, although I have to tell you, watching New York being destroyed (albeit ultimately saved) by the bad guys is not nearly as amusing after 9/1.  But again, another thumbs up from me.   The dialogue was actually quite ironic and funny, and Rober Downey Jr. and Mark Ruffalo did it for me! 

Clearly, my attempt to outwit jet lag was not successful, and Tuesday was a down day, spent mostly......doing nothing!  By Wednesday, though, I am back at it, and decided to play accidental tourist in San Francisco by walking from Hank's home (located either in the Fillmore or in Alamo Square depending on who you talk to) down California Street to Hank's office....







This is the California Street cable car, which David and I took to get to work when we were working at the Bank of America many, many moons ago.....



...and I had forgotten how lovely Grace Cathedral is.....

Of course, the pictures don't show the extent of the hills, both up and down, involved in this little walk....

Thursday, I finally connect with friend Karen.  Hank, Karen and I (and David, and others) worked together at Bank of America, back in the day, and we have kept in touch.  Karen has a lovely apartment, only 6 blocks from Hank's, and we had a lovely catch up chat.....






after which I head to the deYoung Museum for a lovely afternoon wallow in culture old and new. 




The old part I won't bore you with, except to say that visiting the pictures and artifacts there (they have a great textile collection, a great African collection, and a respectable American Art collection) is like visiting old friends.  The new part is more surprising.  I don't usually like fashion collections - for obvious reasons.  However, the de Young was showing what I believe is the first retrospective for the designer Gautthier (sp?).  He started out with Pierre Cardin, but soon went out on his own.  He has designed for Madonna's tours, among others, and has the most interesting, androgynous, sexy - well, I can't really call them clothes, let's say "outfits" -  I have ever seen.  I was mesmerized, by the outfits, and by the mannikins, which had moving eyes and mouths and spoke to you, and the music - it was altogether fascinating!  If you get a chance to see it wherever you are, go for it!

Friday, I headed back to Hank's office - by bus, this time - for lunch with his boss, Vicky.  Vicky was also a former colleague at Bank of America, and we hadn't had a real talk in a long time.  We had a lovely talk, about old friends and new adventures, and about David (it is always nice talking about David to someone who knew - and loved - him in his prime!!).  The older I get, the more I like reconnecting the links in the chain of my life.

And finally, Friday night, the event we have all been waiting for, the Beach Boys concert.  Ittook place in the Greek Theater, at the lovely University of California at Berkeley.



It is a great venue, and it was a great crowd, lots of old folks, of course (some, I am sure, were over 70), but an amazing number of young people as well.






Sound track of our lives indeed!  They played some of the songs from their new album (yes, they have just released one, and yes, I know I should say CD, but old habits die hard), but mosly old favorites like Douce Coup, Surfer Girl, Rhonda, and, of course everyone's (or at least Hank's, and, I think, mine) favorite,  Good Vibrations.  It was a balmy California evening, everyone was rocking out, and it couldn't have been better!  Certainly, one more belt notch for me in the rock and roll department!

No comments:

Post a Comment