Friday, June 8, 2012

Imagine - it's raining in Vancouver!

And last week at this time, I was in San Francisco at the Beach Boys concert! 

It is hard to follow up on that!  In any event, Hank and I were recovered enough by Saturday afternoon to go to a movie.  We saw The Most Excellent Marigold Hotel.   Maybe I am just not critical enough, but this was definitely another thumbs up (or, for those of you in the know, in San Francisco the little man is jumping out of his chair!).  Not only an adult movie, a feel good movie too!  Go see it, if you are looking for hope for romance in the future, no matter what your age!

And yet another movie on Sunday.  You have heard me tout the HD filmings of the National Theater of London (natlive.org, I think).  Hank had not yet been initiated, so we, together with friend Karen, went to see the encore of Frankenstein.  I had seen it before, and it was even better the second time.  The creature is played by Bennedict Cumberbach, now playing Sherlock Holmes in the newest incarnation, and he is fabulous.  A hot actor to watch!

Monday was a travel day - a long travel day!  I was going to be early anyway - I always am, as most of you know - but the flight was delayed due to fog, so I didn't get back to rainy, windy, cold Vancouver until 5 P.M.  And then the fun began!  I was meant to play bridge at 7:00 (yes, I know, I know, who makes arrangements on a travel day?), so when the cab dropped me off, I just put my suitacase in the garage and hopped into the car.

.....which didn't start!  Half an hour, and a visit from the automobile association, later, I was on my way.  I made it to John's place okay - but when I went back to the car after an enjoyable night of - well, it was more talk than bridge, I'll admit it - it was dead,dead, dead.  So, still not having been home, still wearing the same clothes I had put on at 5:30 A.M. that morning -   I stayed over at John's, and had another visit from the automobile association in the morning, this time for a brand new battery.  (By the way, the battery in my nice, simple American car is - wait for it - behind the left front tire, which needs to be removed before the battery is replaced.  How's that for great engineering?)

So, finally, mid-morning on Tuesday, I'm back in business.  Still not having gone home, I'm on the way to my former office, to say hello to former colleagues, catch up with the gossip, and start filling up my dance card, starting with Tuesday afternoon coffee with former colleague, friend and Neighbor Eric. Tuesday night, I have dinner with Lesley, and her good friend Laurie.  French food is all well and good, but I have been desperate for ethnic food, so we are off for Indian cuisine. Laurie is a real kick, and it was a fun, fun, fun girls night out.  I have a lot (okay, mostly) men friends, and I love them all, but I do enjoy a girls night out every once in a while...

In the process of picking Leslie up, I have a chance to see her new digs.  She is now an empty nester, and has moved from a huge house to a lovely condo overlooking the Fraser River.  Seeing it helped to solidify the decision I had, I think,  already mostly made.  On Wednesday, I listed my Vancouver home for sale.  The Vancouver housing market is overheated; I can sell my place, buy another, smaller (and still nice) place, and liberate a couple of hundred thousand dollars to travel.  That could keep me for 15 years of travel.  After that, guys, you can pour me into a nursing home, and I promise I won't complain!

By Thursday, I had already been assigned a hearing by the Mental Health Review Board (and, for the jokers among you, remember that I was chairing the hearing, not having my fate decided.....).  Work is good - especially since I have been doing nothing but spending money for some time.  There is more work where that came from, so between catching up with friends and working, I will manage to keep myself busy until the next trip.

So, now you are up to date.  I will keep you posted, as always.  By the way, I know Blogspot has made it hard to post comments, but I would love to hear from you.  So, please write, at divawannabe2@yahoo.com.  Look forward to hearing from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment