Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Whew!

When I last left you, after spending two and a half hours on the last post, the computer wouldn't let me save or publish it!  You would have been proud of me, Lesley.  After trying several times, I just minimized the blog, went home, plugged in the computer (I really was almost out of juice), and went about my day. 

Which did not get better.  I paid $10 for parking, in anticipation of going to the two sites of the San Diego Contemporary Art Museum, having lunch, and then going to the Maritime Museum.  Only to find that the Museum of Contemporary Art is closed on Wednesday!  So much for that brilliant idea.  I gave up, at that point, having walked for several hours before finding it way too hot for physical exercise.  Returning to the parking lot, I gave my all day ticket to the next comer, my random act of kindness which I hoped would change my luck.

And, lo and behold, it did.  I picked up my computer, headed back for MacDonald's, and, presto, it let me publish my blog post!  Another computer tragedy averted.  So, having bought my wild berry smoothie (270 calories, by far the least of anything on the menu), I might as well continue. 

Where were we?  Ah, Monday.  Most museums being closed on Monday, I opted for the zoo.  Okay, indulge me in a few pictures...








Okay, okay, I got carried away with the flamingos, but they were the first ones that I saw....






Okay, with the giraffes too, but they are among my favorites, and there were babies, animal babies (the only kind I like....)







...and yes, that is what you think it is.......







I even took the aerial tramway, and got some city views...




....and some fresh air!  All told, I spent about 4 hours.  The verdict?  I still don't like zoos.  Oh, don't get me wrong, I don't have any moral objections.  It is just that, overall, there are too many empty cages, or sleeping animals, and, of course, too many children of the human variety.  It is probably justified as the most famous zoo in the world, but I, for one, don't need to see it again!  Boring!

Since I was already in Balboa Park, and parked, I took a walk in the trees and visited the San Diego Historical Archives for a bit of history on the founding and growth of San Diego, with lots of artifacts and pictures, of which the following are a small example....




and topped the whole thing off with a two hour Harbour Cruise, another must-do when visiting San Diego,  but this one much more enjoyable, especially with the sea breezes, after the heat of the day.  We pased the Naval Air Station and Submarine Base, the Star of India and other Maritime Museum vessels, the Point Loma Lighthouse, the Sea Lions, the USS Midway (about which more on the next blog), the Coronado Bay Bridge (which I crossed several times on Sunday - oops!), and lots of destroyers, frigates and cruisers out on the water.






Immediately above is the Queen of San Diego, the boat we were on!

All in all, a very satisfying day!

Before I forget, while I was in Vancouver, and working - was that only last week - we had one of our occasional "Sunday in the Park" days, and pictures were taken.  So....










And there you have them, some of my colleagues at leisure.  We do have a great group, very supportive of one another, in good times and bad.  I feel myself very lucky to have worked with them.

Okay, any more writing and I think I will be pushing my luck!  I will sign off for now.  I am here for another two days, leaving for Palm Springs on Saturday.  I will probably catch up with you again on Sunday, before I leave Palm Springs for Vancouver!  Till then...

No comments:

Post a Comment