Monday, September 3, 2012

Anon has arrived already

Well, a cancellation caused a hole in my schedule, and I thought I had better get up to date.

First, an omission.  I see that I somehow forgot to tell you that when I was in San Diego, I went to see the USS Midway, an aircraft carrier now set up as a "living museum" of sorts on the San Diego waterfront.  To tell the truth, I went as sort of a tribute to David - he would have loved it, of course - but ended up staying 4 hours.  I am fascinated always by what Man hath wrought (what God has wrought, i.e., nature, not so much), and planes really are beautiful creatures...





And, finally, the view from the flight deck.....



including Navy Seals on a training mission. I was only sorry that David was not there with me - he would have loved the flight simulator, as well as all the rest!  I finished the day with - of course - a seafood dinner at the Fish Market, very touristy, but good food nonetheless, and a great location on the Bay.

Okay, where were we.  Oh, yes, it was Friday morning, the 25th of August, and I was just leaving San Diego for Palm Springs.  It is an easy drive, and I will no doubt come back for the opera during the winter season, but, for now, it was enough.  It was actually good to be back in Palm Springs.  It is not that it isn't hot in Palm Springs, but it is dry heat (as opposed to San Diego, which is not), and, in any event, there is air conditioning.    It was a busy few days.

I had arranged (god bless e-mail!) to meet friend Geoff at Tropical, our current favorite watering hole, on Friday night.  And so it came to pass.



The big guy on the right is Tom, Geoff's friend from Vancouver.  I had heard all about him, and it was great to finally meet him.  I'm always happy to add friends to my arsenal!

And, by chance, I was in town for the party on Saturday night, celebrating my neighbors' 22nd anniversary!  Arlene and Deb are great neighbors and have become good friends, as have the rest of the crowd, and I was happy to be able to celebrate with them.









And a great time was had by all!

So much so that we continued the buzz with breakfast at Elmers the next day.  No fine dining here, folks, but lots of fun nonetheless!

Art and Wally had been escaping the heat in the Pacific North West, but I managed to miss them when we were all there at the same time; the proverbial ships in the night.  But lo and behold, they arrived back to Palm Springs on Saturday, and on Sunday we went out to dinner at the Rainbow Room to catch up.



The Rainbow Room is one of those old Palm Springs places, piano bar, dark wood and all, but I had not been there before.  I recommend it; it is not foodie stuff, but if you like the old standbys, like veal (gasp!!  yes, Vancouver, people still eat veal), and liver and onions and prime rib and rack of lamb, well this is the place for you!

And finally, Monday has arrived, and it is time to go back to Vancouver.  All went as advertised, including a pick up at Bellingham Airport by friends Donna and Pelham, and I was home by 10 P.M.  (by the way, for those of you wondering, the house was as I left it. But then, I have never returned from a house exchange when it wasn't!)

And back to a busy week.  Of course, I am back to work - after all, I have to pay for all this fun!  Tuesday night, I had dinner with friend David, someone who travels as much as if not more than I do, so it is rare that we are in the same place at the same time.  David was a client of mine when I had my own law practice - a few minutes ago now - and we have managed to keep in touch and remain friends ever since.  It was good to catch up.

On Wednesday night, bridge with the boys again, always a good time, and on Thursday morning, continuing a new tradition, duplicate bridge in White Rock with friend Robin.  We are working on become a good partnership, and managed to place again, earning at least a partial master point in the process.  Once again, a celebratory lunch at our favorite Greek taverna, joined by frind Diana, who had also played.




Geez, if Robin weren't so nice, you could really hate her.  There she is on the left.  She was drop dead gorgeous when we met in law school, and she's still drop dead gorgeous all these years later!  Anyway, we are very much enjoying playing together, and hope to continue when we get back to the desert later in the year!

Thursday night, Tom and I were back at Bard on the Beach for our final outing there for the season, Macbeth. 



Well, Ashland may have better acting (although Chrisopher Gaze, the founder and director, pictured above, would argue that), but you can't beat our natural backdrop.  Actually, the Macbeth was fabulous, from the acting (Bob Fraser, who played Macbeth, is one of my favorites), to the staging to the sound and light effects, all special.  Overall, a great theatrical experience!

And yet another theatrical experience to end the week, Altar Boys on the Granville Stage.  I've already bored you with pictures of Granville Island, so no more right now.  Suffice it to say that this was the polar oppisite of Macbeth - a musical review, with five hugely talented boys (I use that word advisedly - although they were probably old enough to drink, none of them looked like it, but boy could they sing and dance!).  Theater was preceded by dinner at Whet, a restaurant which has been around on the Island for a while, but which we had never tried.  It was quite good, interesting menu and gorgeous location right by the dock; we will go again.

And so, here we are at Labour Day, and everyone is basking in the glorious weather (lord knows, it will be raining soon enough), and sighing over the end of summer.   Ah, the seasons they go round and round..... 

No comments:

Post a Comment