Sunday, May 12, 2013

Guess what? It's raining in Vancouver!

Last year, I came back to Vancouver  in May thinking it would be safe, and it rained until July!  To be fair, it has been a glorious week, definitely top-down weather (picture of the convertible to follow - as soon as I get it washed!), warm and sunny with a breeze off the water.  It started to rain yesterday, though, and there is rain in the forecast fo the foreseeable future.

Nonetheless, it has been a good week.  Dinners with friends....


Donna & Jeannie at Kisimos, for Greek food

.....wirh Sue & Kelley too

...and Gerry, at Paesaano's for Italian on Sunday

A few lunches with colleagues, of course, both  Japanese (which I have been craving).  By the way, there is lots of work, so I will be working more or less every day between now and mid-October.  A good thing, too;  need to pump up that travel kitty, since you guys are not doing a good job finding me someone to support me in the style to which I would like to become accustomed!

Of course, I am back to playing bridge as well.  The boys (previously introduced, but just in case - Tom, John and Dennis) and I had a wonderful time, as we always do, but lordy lordy did I play badly!  You'd think that it had been 6 months instead of 6 weeks since I played.  Hopefully, it is like riding a bike (oops - another thing I caan't do, but why let facts get in the way of a good analogy!), and it will all come back to me by next week!

Tom immediately got me back on the theater circuit as well.  There is a small theater company (well, there are more than that, of course) we like to support.  It is called Last Chance Productions.  They are just out or school, are young and enthusiastic, have great voices, do musicals (which both Tom and I love) and are woking on a shoestring, of course.  Anyway, they were doing a Broadway review, different singers every night doing different songs.  They perform at different locations; on Thursdaay, they were at the Jericho Theater, a small theater near Jericho Beach.  Not our favoirte venue, but small and intimate, and, really, perfect for this sort of thing.  We always eat at Enigma when we go to Jericho - it is an old Vancouver favourite with an interesting menu.  Both dinner and theater were wonderful!

Which brings me to the weekend.  Between work and social life, not to mention the weather, I'm, well, tired, and have been quite content to stay close to home these last few days.  I'm feeling much better (and yes, I am checking in with the doctor tomorrow, don't nag!), but without my usual stamina, and very little lung capacity.  (Berating myself for using this as an excuse to take the elevator instead of the stairs at work, I have been trying the stairs.  I make it up all right, but have to pause for a few minutes to catch my breathe before going in, or my colleagues would be taking me to the ER).

So, before I leave you for another week, I have had a request to show you Steveston, and my place.  So, on several walks to the village (a 10 minute walk on a good day, about 20 minutes now)...







Yes, these are spiny crustaceans....

These guys sell at the docks every weekend of thee season...


..and this is Pajo's, the best fish and chips in the world...



You caught me!  I stopped for coffee on the way home...









And now my home!  For those of you who haven't visited (yet....), I live in a bungalow, about 1500 square feet (that's it, above), in a lovely complex of about 43 homes, some bungalows, some two storey, some three.






Behinf the table is a Muphy Bed with your name on it.....


 














I really would love to share Vancouver with you.  I'm not going to say this again...

And finally, as promised, my reading list.  It is not very extensive right now - John gave me three months worth of The Economist to catch up on, so I'm working on those.  I get four newspapers on the weekend - The Vancouver Sun, The National Post (Canafa's right wing rag, but always interesting and well written, The Wall Street Journal (ditto except for the Canada part), and, of course, The Sunday New York Times.  Books on the go?  Only one right now.  While we were in Cairo, Ted got me hooked on the Flashman series. by George MacDonald Fraser. Flashman is a military man, a coward and a cad, and a thoroughly delightful read, as he hits all the British Empire's hot spots, from Afghanistan to China to - well, you get the idea.  Ted only had the first in the series, however. Luckily, I found two more in the Munich airport, and will have to search the others out.  I just downloaded (yes, I have a new Kindle!) several books recommended by Hank, including Jerusalem by Montefiore, a history of that city, and two historical novels by Bernard Cornwell.  So, I'm not likely to run out of reading material any time soon.

Hmm.  I could still catch tonight's edition of that Broadway review....

No comments:

Post a Comment