Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Day to Day

Well, the flurry of actiity is done, and life has settled into what will be my routine, I think, and it is okay.  I go to work every day.  People ask why I go into the office every day, when I can work at home, coming in only to sign my final decisions.  Well, really, I prefer going to the office.  I get to talk books and politics - not to mention work - with my colleagues, and go out to lunch.  It continues to rain, so it's not like I want to be outdoors.  And, if it is nice out and I want to duck out for a walk - well, I charge by the hour, I can do that! 

In any event, I do go to the office, but still manage to get some outside socializing in.  This week, I visited Mickey, a friend (and former colleague) and her husband Bill, who have a wonderful cottage and garden in New Westminster, a "suburb" of Vancouver.

Mickey started work at the tribunal on the same day I did some 18 years ago, but retired several years earlier than I did.  We hadn't seen each in a while, and so had some catching up to do.  The sun actually came out for a bit, showing off the garden (Bill's pride and joy) to good effect.

Another colleague, Susan, has decided that her deck is lovely and needed more visitors.  About 8 of us from the office oblidged, and came over on Thursday after work.  Once again, the sun graced us with its presence; however, my camera was forgotten in the wine and general good cheer.  Sorry!

Then, my weekend plans collapsed.  Literally.  I'm sure most of you have heard about the bridge in Washington State, just below Mt. Vernon, which collapsed last week.  Well, that bridge is between me and Seattle, where I was meant to go for the weekend, to have dinner at Nell's, a favourite restaurant, go to the theater on Green Lake, have brunch on Saturday made by friend Arlene, and catch some offerings at the Seattle Film Festival.  Not.  Eveentually, they will have a work-around, but this was Memorial Day weekend in the States, not to mention a music festival weekend.  There was no way I was going to drive 5 - or more, it turned out from the radio broadcasts - hours to do a 2 1/4 hour drive to Seattle.  Arlene and I accepted it as an act of God, and postponed.  Another time, but, really, check UTube for the Skagit River Bridge collapse; it's something else!

So, the weekend, if not the bridge, could be rebuilt.  I dodged the raindrops for several long walks around Steveston...








.....and tried to go to the movies with friend Lesley.  The movie theater was a zoo, however - too many teenagers (my favourite people!) trying to get in out of the rain to see Iron Man or Star Treck or whatever else was at the multiplex (we were trying for The Great Gatsby - I am a big fan of Baz Luhrman) - so we settled for the pub instead....



And so, once again, Monday rolls around and its High Ho, High Ho, Its back to work we go.

What else can I tell you?  Several more books have landed on my (already overloaded) nighttable.  Lawrence Durrell's Alexandria Quartet came back from its semi-permanent loan with a friend.  I read it as I think we all did, when I was 20, and it was what started my longing for Egypt (stoked later by reading Mahfouz's Sugar Street Trilogy).  I am almost afraid to read it again; after all, I am not 20 any more, and, lord knows, Alexandria isn't the same either.  I'll keep you posted.

Also added to the pile are two of Conrad Black's books, his biography of Nixon and Flight of the Eagle (the latter an American saga).  A number of years ago, I read his biography of Franklin Delano Roosevelt and loved it.  Black is very erudite, loves language, and writes (and thinks) in paragraphs.  And for a right wing facist, he was amazingly fair to Roosevelt (his thesis:  Roosevelt saved capitalism for the capitalists - they just didn't know it).  So many books, so little time - and I waste so much of it.

And - hooray - I won at bridge last night.  She's baaack!

It has been suggested that I am missing out on lots of interesting stuff by not following favourites on Twitter.  So, I gave up, and set up a Twitter account.  So far, I am not wowed, but perhaps you, my loyal fans, can suggest some interesting people for me to follow. (and yes, I am on Facebook!)

I am hugely bored with the political scandals in Toronto and Ottawa, so won't talk about them here except to say that they should all be shot for terminal stupidity if not for venality, but I leave you with a quote that had me laughing out loud at the radio (CBCm of course!).  In talking about the players, the commentator said:  Sometimes you need Thanksgiving to get the attention of the turkeys.

Till next week then.

No comments:

Post a Comment