Sunday, June 9, 2013

My Boring Life

I haven't written for a while,  mostly because there hasn't been anything to write about.  When I said I was into a routine, I wasn't kidding.  There have been a few movies - John and Dennis and I ducked out to see the new Star Trek.  I absolutely loved it - and I still don't know how they managed to get those young actors to look like Bones, Spock, Kirk and the rest when they were young!  Good fun!  Also managed to get out and see The Great Gatsby.  I know it has gotten terrible reviews, but I rather liked it..  Luhrmann did not make any attempt for historical accuracy - there were skyscrapers on the New York skyline that I know weren't there in 1922, and they were playing rock music in the party scene, but I get that they were trying to say that "careless people" like Tom  and Daisy are still with us, and that the more things change, the more they stay the same.  In any event, I agree with Hank - it was worth it for the party scene alone - and to send you back to Fitzgerald!

Speaking of the Fitzgeralds, the best book I ever read about them  was written ages ago, by the Murphys, their friends, and should be read for the title alone:  Living Well is The Best Revenge!

I've played bridge twice, once with friend Robin and once with someone else (Robin couldn't make it), doing moderately well, but no masterpoints!

And yesterdy, a memorial service for friend Murray.  His wife, Laurel, has made previous appearances in this saga - she and I often walk and lunch in Palm  Springs.  Laurel and Murray lived near us in Salt Spring Island in a previous life, and now have a place near me in Palm Springs, both times they live in the high rent district and we lived in the low rent district, or so I liked to tease them.  Nonetheleess, lovely people.  Murray was 88, though, and has been failing for several years now, sincce a series of strokes laid him  low.  Laurel has been an admirable care giver, and he had all the amenities that money could buy as well, but it was time.  Like everything else Laurel does, the service and subsequent gathering was well organized and classy.  It couldn't help to bring David to mind, though, espeially since there were a lot of Salt Spring people there, manyy of whom I hadn't seen since David's death.  And, of course, this is no doubt the first of many - indeed, there is another one next week - so brings to mind our own mortality, and other morbid thoughts about who will come to my "closing party"?

Well, enough of that.  I did start back at the gym  this week, and my mood is improving already.  Several of us from  work are going to various classes at the community center - things like Core and Abs, Step, and Book Camp.  And no, there won't be any pictures!

And I did vary my daily walking route, hence, some more Steveston pictures...





(By the way, this ppasses for low income housing here..)

look flosely for the turtles...

...and even cows


And that's about it.  A few tid bits in information (courtesty of the Internet).  Aparently, the myth of The Curse of Tuts Tomb is a myth !!  Howard Carter and his dog did not die shortly after opening the tomb in 1923/4 - He really died of natural causes many years later.  Actually, I like the myth better.

And finally (courtesy of the CBC), they are using opera to reach autistic children.  I don't know exactly what that tells you, but it must be something.

Well, I will try to have a more exciting time next week!!

No comments:

Post a Comment