Sunday, January 14, 2018

Pictures, at last....

When I said I was going to remind myself how to post pictures, I forgot to add that I had to get a camera too.  I had one, but it got ruined on our one day of rain in Antarctica last winter.  So buying a camera had to be done too.  Well, let's see if I can do this.    Bear with me here.  Some of you have already seen my place in Palm Springs.  For those who haven't.........


.....and that, my friends, is the view from my patio.  It also comes with golfers - off screen, right - as well as roadrunners, rabbits and coyotes (pictures to follow).




This is the deck....




...including what some people have called the best barbeque they have ever used....



Here's my garden, cool even on the hottest days....



......and my desert car...



.......living room....


....including what I like to call my "crumb" chair, i.e., where I have my toast in the morning and my wine and cheese in the afternoon, and generally read whatever's on hand.


Dining room.......




....and kitchen (I remodeled a few years ago, and am quite proud of the result...



.......family room....



...and, my pride and joy, the Juke Box.  Somehow, it is just right for down here.  It is a Wurlizer  - a real one - which has been reconfigured for CD's.  Not only does it produce great sound, it just makes me smile.  So, before you give away those CD's, bring them to me, particularly if you have any jazz, or Rat Pack items.  (They can be your house gift when you come down....)



....my bedroom....


And this is the bedroom with your name on it, should you decide to visit...


And, finally, me, just in case you've forgotten.  Admittedly, this is a few years old, but it is not too out of date.  (Hey, you've probably gotten older too, and I haven't gotten any fatter at least.....).  I will try to get someone to take a picture of me this week - no promises, though; I have the right to reject the ones that make me look too fat or too old...


Okay, so much for the housekeeping.  Now, for the week in review.

Winter classes started this week.  They always start with some free, one-off classes, which are always interesting.  This week was no exception.  The first class was called Jungle Red, for reasons beyond my understanding, but was fascinating nonetheless.  It was about women in Abstract Expressionism, taught, as it turns out, by someone who lives down the street from me.  Who knew he was so knowledgeable?  It came complete with slides and quotations, and lots of fodder for my next visit to the Metropolitan Museum.  Class number two was entitled The Final Gift, and was particularly appropriate.  It was taught by an instructor who taught the photography class I took last year.  This time, she was talking about preparing for death, i.e., not leaving a mess behind.  I am particularly sensitive to this, of course, given the mess that friend Hank left behind.  Also, I have no family, and don't want to leave a mess for my friends to take care of.  I don't consider my life all that complicated, really, but I do have two houses and two cars, and multiple bills that are automatically deducted from my accounts each month, and charities that get paid on line - well, you get the picture.  I actually thought my affairs were in order by having a will and a medical power of attorney in place.  Boy, was I wrong.  All right, all right, I'm working on it.

Final class was a lecture on the Salton Sea.  I am not usually much for science and/or technology, but this was really fascinating.  I don't know how many of you know about the Salton Sea, but it is the largest lake in California, it is saline, it is below sea level, and it is in a heap of trouble for a variety of reasons.  California residents, take note.  There is a bond issue on the ballot in June, 2018 which provides money - a fair bit - for remedial measures for the Salton Sea.  Vote for it!

Speaking of voting, I have studiously avoided politics thus far, and will now.  Maybe next time.....

The six week courses start in about two weeks.  I will keep you posted.

My sometimes bridge partner Alex (I play with him twice a week, with friend Chaya once a week and old friend and law school classmate Robin, who earlier readers of my blog will remember, once a week) has arranged bridge lessons at his place for 8 of us.  They are being taught by Angela Taylor, a well-respected teacher.  The first, day before yesterday, was a bit basic, but lord knows, I need all the help I can get.

Yesterday, I had a movie date with neighbor and friend Michael.  Those who know me will laugh - we went to see the newest Star Wars movie, The Last Jedi.  I know, I know, in theory I don't like mass market entertainment.  But Star Wars?  Who doesn't like Star Wars?  Besides, in this day and age, who doesn't like to see good triumph over evil.  Or, if you want to dress it up, you can call it the ultimate myth - Wotan getting his spear (or in this case, light saber) broken by his son.......the long and the short of it is, I had a fabulous time - great popcorn, great music, one last goodbye to Carrie Fisher - and I promise I will do something more serious next.

That would be today. I think I mentioned I have found a few small theater companies I like to support here in the desert.  One is called Desert Rose Playhouse, and it is the only LGBTQ theater company in the desert.  I heard about it last year because another of my neighbors had a part in one their productions - a play called Southern Baptist Sissies - and invited me to come.  Today, I went to see their production of Fifth of July, by Lanford Wilson.  I don't know whether you are familiar with the play - it was produced as a movie in, I think, the 80's.  The premise is a group of old friends - sexual and social revolutionaries at Berkeley in the 1960's -  meet for the July 4th weekend in 1973 - and past and present are all revealed.  Not a great play, but a good effort, worth putting on, and worth supporting.  They have a teenie tiny playhouse - it probably seats 50 people  - but they do a reasonable job, and, as I say, if one wants to see plays performed, one has an obligation to support the people who do it.

So, with the addition of gym, zumba, bridge, and dinner and Scrabble again with Marvin and Geoff, that was my week.  How was yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment