Monday, February 12, 2018

How could I have forgotten?

Looking at the calendar this morning (and yes, I am one of two people still living who has a paper calendar) I saw that it was Hank's birthday.   And remembered that on Saturday, his ashes had been scattered in San Francisco, by a group of his dear friends.  I would have liked very much to be there, and, but for Arlene's long planned visit, I would have been.  I can't even say my thoughts were there - truthfully, I totally forgot.  That said, he was a dear friend, and I will continue to remember him often, and with great fondness.

And while I'm posting, I noticed that I forgot my book list.  Having finished The Austrian Woman (which, by the way, I dropped in the pool at some point, and, having dried it out, continued to read it page by wrinkled page) and The Romanovs, I have now started Influencing Hemingway, by Nancy Sindelar (the instructor of my mini-course on Hemingway last semester).  My current tome (I always seem to have one going) is The Silk Roads:  A New History of the World  by Peter Frankopan.   His premise is that East and West have been entwined for the centuries since the Silk Roads linked East to West via trade in goods, ideas and religions,  A totally different kind of popular history than The Austrian Woman (this one comes replete with footnotes, indices, pictures and maps), but very readable as well.

Having finished all the back issues of the Economists though (thanks again, John), I'll have to find something I can actually carry around.....

No comments:

Post a Comment