Sunday, February 18, 2018

The Theory of Moral Proximity

Great bridge tournament, for me at least.  Nice venue, at the Palm Springs Pavilion....played four sessions, with three different partners, and came first in two and fourth in one.  Yay, teams!

Philosophical content for the week - the theory of moral proximity.  This is the basis of those obligations that came into existence when we find ourselves close enough to others to be able to witness or feel their needs, or when we are in some other way linked to their plight.  We can't deal with all the suffering or need in the world, but we can - and should - deal with the sliver of suffering that is reasonable close to us...


This is from the Alexander McColl Smith book A Distant View of Everything, and I like it.  It kind of goes with my theory that, since I am obviously not going to find a cure for cancer or create world peace, the best I can do is make the lives around me a little better, except this was said better.   

No comments:

Post a Comment