Thursday, October 11, 2018

Erlian, and the Russian train

Okay.  This really frustrating.  I just lost everything I posted in the last hour. So, starting again.  Erlian was the first stop on the train.....

I guess they really wanted to make sure we knew where we were....


...I could have sworn these were rice crispy squares (they weren't)



...China's idea of fast food (There was McDonald's too, of course, although not in Erlian)


...and a concert at the train station when we crossed into Mongolia..



...I loved the Mongolian instruments...

It was here that we changed trains to the Russian train, called Tsars Gold.  I took lots of pictures on the train over the next 8 days, but have put them all together here so you can get an idea of life on the train. 


....our fearless leader, Tamara...




....our compartments, not luxurious but comfortable, and big enough for visiting (drinks and chat...you didn't think I meant anything else, did you?)


There were several groups on the train, two English speaking, one French, one Spanish and one German.  Each group had an assigned spot in one of three dining cars, but it was catch as catch can after that...





.....I think I already mentioned that the food was yummy, and beautifully presented, as you can see...







....Here is Merina, our other Russian guide.  Our lectures were all given in the dining room; this one was on Ghengis Khan and the Secret History of Mongolia...


......here is our very good looking waiter (and boy, did he know it!)


......Here is Hans, the train "guide" who also provided lots of informative lectures...





.....this violinist joined us at one stop, and walking through the dining cars playing Russian folk songs...





Well, I was going to get us into Mongolia, but I am not going to push my luck.  I am pushing the publish button, before this goes off into cyberspace - again...

No comments:

Post a Comment