Monday, November 12, 2018

Catching up to the desert

Well, as noted, I am back to zumba, and am loving it.  (I think there is a reason I sleep better here; I get way more exercise.)  I am also back to the gym, and am back up to the full routine, half hour on the elliptical trainer, half hour on the bike, and a half hour weight training circuit.

I'm in to the second week of adult learning classes.  As mentioned, one of the courses is about getting advice, or, more formally, oracles throughout history and the present.  The instructor is a philosophy professor from whom I have taken courses before, and I love his enthusiasm and esoteric knowledge.  (The fact that he is really good looking doesn't hurt either....)  Another class continues the Russian theme; it is called 100 Years of Revolution; Russia from 1917 to the Present.  The jury is still out on this one.  This is the instructor's first course, and for starters, it is hard to understand him through the thick Russian accent.  And he is descended from Russian aristocracy, and his facts are skewed in that direction.  We'll see.  But there is no doubt about the third class; it is about Rogers and Hammerstein, given by an instructor (also familiar to me from previous classes) who worked on Broadway and the Brill building in New York, and actually know Oscar Hammerstein.  I mean, Oklahoma, South Pacific, The King and I, and on and on and on - this was the sound track of our lives, folks.

A book published earlier this year, Something Wonderful, by Todd Purdum, is the basis for the course.  I had already bought it - apparently long before this was even a glimmer in the instructor's eye - but hadn't had a chance to read it.  I am busy devouring it now, and it a great read for those of you who love Broadway!

While we are talking about reading, I am back on the library circuit, starting with the recent best-seller The Woman in the Window, by A.J. Finn.  It is pretty much a 21st century redo of Rear Window, but actually a very good - if mindless - read.  Also read in short order two more Alexander McCall Smith offerings, one in his 44 Scotland Street series (A Time of Love and Tartan), and an Isabel Dalhousie novel in the philosophy series (The Quiet Side of Passion).  I really love his books - they are so gentle, but with object lessons attached.  I rejected a Minette Walters (The Last Hours) - it just didn't grab me, and I am so over reading things just because I've started them.  I've now settled in with the new Martha Grimes mystery, The Knowledge.

The first ten days was rounded out by a visit from Debbie, my law school buddy, who divided her time between my place and Robin's, the third of the three muskateers, some entertaining (John and Jim over for brunch - not one of my more successful efforts, but the company was good), a retirement party, and, of course, lots and lots of  bridge, with different partners - and some of the old standbys, including Alex from Vancouver (who got down here a few days before I did) and Chaya - she and I are dynamite!  There has already been a tournament!  And lots more winning outcomes, which, of course, always makes me happy.

In short, I am a tired but happy camper.  And the weather is glorious, cool (okay, downright chilly) in the mornings, and high 70's by the afternoon.  I really do love it here.

I realize I haven't filled you in on the last hectic weeks before I left Vancouver for Palm Springs, but the news is too stale now.  Suffice it to say what it was a whirlwind of theater, musical events, lunches and dinners - enough to that I could almost believe I have a social life in Vancouver too.

Truth of the matter, I have landed pretty well for a dippy old broad, and feel incredibly lucky,

As promised, I won;t harass you with more postings for a little while - both you and I need a rest.  But I will get back to you.  I promise.  

No comments:

Post a Comment