Wednesday, November 21, 2018

Happy Thanksgiving

It has been a busy week.  I went to see the encore of Marnie at the Met in HD broadcast, and, although I was perfectly prepared to hate it, I turned out to be gripped instead.  In the way of modern opera, one doesn't go out humming the tunes.  However, it was well sung, well directed and sell staged, and, as noted, I was totally gripped.  I will watch for it in Santa Fe; I would like to hear it again!

Other social outings this week included Scrabble and dinner with friends Geoff and Marvin (recently married, after many years together), and a dinner celebrating friend Chaya's 70th birthday (apparently the tradition in India, where Chaya is from, is for the celebrant to take friends out to dinner, not the other way around...) at Mama Gina's, a chi-chi Italian restaurant on El Paseo.  Good food and good company; it is a restaurant I will certainly add to my repertoire.

Aside from the usual round of classes, bridge and exercise, I went through 4 books, rejecting two (Dear Fahrenheit 451, a book about books, and Chicago, by David Mamet, both of which I had high hopes for which were rudely dashed) and liking two - French Exit (a good read, but very weird), and Clock Dance.

The best read of all was a book I bought at the library book sale for $1.  (Yes, folks, I still buy books...)  It was a (maybe the only) Graham Greene I hadn't yet read, called Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or The Bomb Party, taking on the limitless greed of rich people!  Don't read it if you are depressed about the state of the universe, but I liked it...

Thanksgiving certainly brings out the best and the worst in people.  I am invited to Geoff and Marvin's for Thanksgiving dinner.  I am bringing the turkey, stuffing, gravy and cranberry sauce (not altogether altruistically - Marvin is now a vegan, and I draw the line at tofu turkey!!!).  So when I found out yesterday that other friends were at a loss for the holiday (Jim has COPD Stage 4, just got out of the hospital, and would not have been able to breathe in San Diego where they were scheduled to go), I thought nothing about asking Geoff and Marvin if I could invite the boys.  The answer was no, the table wouldn't comfortably seat them.  I was (quietly) appalled.  Their house, their rules, of course.  But in my house, inviting folks who were at sixes and sevens would take precedence over the look of my table, any day.  I will make the turkey, I will attend, and I will (try to) keep my mouth shut.  But, frankly, I will never look at them in the same way again.

But as for you, my friends, I hope you have lots to be thankful for, and that you will all enjoy your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment