Sunday, September 29, 2019

Dreams

I have always thought dreams were important, but have never been able to remember them (and have never managed to make it through Freud's book on dreams either).  But recently, my inability to sleep has gotten out of hand, and it was recommended to me to try Melatonin.  I did, and, indeed, it helps me sleep, but at the expense of having these incredibly schizoid dreams, many of which I do remember (or, at least, snippets of them.  I have always had vague recollections of the "you can't get there from here" dreams (I understand most people have them).  But last night.......I was someplace that seemed like India - people everywhere, tugging at you - and I had left the hotel, whose name I didn't know, without a map (in real life, I have never, and would never, do this).  Needless to say, I couldn't get back, and having wandered into and out of several strange buildings, and down several winding hills, I woke up (too early, of course) and didn't dare close my eyes again.

Don't worry - I won't subject you to any more of these - its like listening to other people's acid trips in the old days - but this was so immediate and so strange and it's still early...and I still don't know what it means.

On another note, I have just finished reading another Martha Grimes mystery, Winds of Change.  I always read a book's dedication if there is one, to see if I can relate it to the book itself.  It is not always obvious.  In this case, it was, very much so.  The book was dedicated to the author's brother, who had died the year before the book's publication.  And the protagonist, Jury, loses a cousin in the early pages of the book.  He himself is an orphan, and this (distant) cousin was the repository of childhood memories, albeit different from his own, his last link to the past......as are my distant cousins, mentioned in my last post. (I tried to contact both, as I said I would do, but have heard back from neither.  Both, I know, are distracted by other, closer, family matters, but I am fretting more than I usually do - I am not usually a fretter (hence my dream, I guess...).

On a more normal, less gruesome note,  I went for a walk and sushi dinner with friend John










...as usual, had a great time.  It is great walking with John - I just have to ask a question; he talks, and I don't have to get winded by walking and talking at the same time!!!


The next day, when I was out walking by myself (by the way, I am listening to Robert Cato's The Path to Power, the first of three books comprising his biography - what a fabulous writer - and reader) when John rode by on his bike, looking every bit the triathalete he is) , and he joined me after his ride (and mutual showers) for a beer on the patio to watch the sunset.  Not such a bad life.  John is a good friend and neighbor; he looks after me, and I am lucky to have him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment