Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Ho Hum

Not too much going on, but don't want to let the time get away from me....

Walks, rain or shine...




Its odd.  When you are young, you don't think about it.  Now, with age creeping up (or some would say, already here) I am grateful each and every time - really, it is true - that I can still walk reasonably briskly, and unencumbered.  Well, I always have been a glass half full kind of person.

I am grateful for long-time friends too.  Had lunch with former colleague and friend Mickey and her husband Bill....



.....and aside from great conversation, they introduced me to a new (to me) pho place which can legitimately be considered in my neighborhood.  The broth was yummy - and it's a lot cleaner than our usual joint. 

Went to the first chamber music concert from the Vancouver Recital Society for this season with friend Jack.  We can both remember when the VRS started 40 years ago!!!  It was an interesting concert, with five pieces - none of which I had ever heard - for various combinations of two violins and a piano.  Charming, but considering that there were only blue hairs in the audience - really, I don't think there was a soul under 60 but for the performers - I wonder if this music will be around for the next generation?

Still enjoying bridge three times a week, but wish I were improving at somewhat more than a snail's pace...

What else?  Oh, reading What with Jack providing me with old New Yorkers and John providing me with the Economist, I am well up to date on what's new in Kansas City.....For books, well, I finished the autobiography (at least the 700 plus pages that comprise part 1) of Isaac Asimov, In Memory Yet Green.  Considering I am not a science fiction reader - the only Asimov I have read is his work on Shakespeare - it was surprisingly interesting.  Jewish boy emigrates from a stetl in Russia to Brooklyn in the 20's - I mean, the setting itself held me for at least 400 pages...  And a novel (Rose Tremain's The Gustav Sonata), a mystery (Martha Grimes, The Old Wine Shades), and a thriller (Craig Russell's The Devil's Aspect):  all good reads, none Giller prize material even if they were new, which they are not.

I don't do premonitions, as a rule, but I am feeling very much like I should be in contact with my elderly cousins back East.  I will let you know the results of my attempts to reach out in my next post....

No comments:

Post a Comment