Saturday, April 25, 2020

Social Isolation, Week 5

I am still surprisingly content.  I've developed a routine, as one does.  Unlike some, I do get out of my pajamas first thing.  Still making my bed and tidying up before I sit down with my coffee and bagel.  Then, having had bagel and coffee and read for a bit, I check in to the game with that day's bridge partner.  (Believe it or not, I am playing 7 days a week, with 4 different partners.)    After checking in, there is an hour before the game starts, during which I usually knit while listening to updates on CBC.  The game lasts two hours and a bit, then time for lunch and a nap.  Later in the afternoon, I'm usually on the phone with that day's partner, going over the hands of the day.  (Technology has its uses; it enables one to review all the hands, and to compare how you did with how everyone else playing did.  Computers were made for this sort of shit!) 

Then it's time for my 31/2 to 4 mile walk, dinner, some more reading, and bed.  And in between, there is on-line Scrabble, emails, phone calls, chats with neighbors from the patio.  Perhaps because I'm not supposed to be anywhere, I don't know, but I am happier than I usually am in Vancouver.

Srill missing my Chinese food, though.  I could order in, I suppose, or pick up at my local restaurant, but just haven't changed my routine to do it.

And the car has only been out of the garage three times, for my grocery shopping excursions. 

Actually, haven't read much except for my magazines.  I am re-reading the Hilary Mantel books (Wolf Hall and Bringing Up The Bodies), in anticipation of reading the third of the trilogy, which has just come out and which I have ordered.  If you are not familiar, these are the books on Henry VIII, Katherine, Anne Bolyn, and Cromwell, the last of whom is the narrator, I period about which I have long been fascinated. 

So, still living in my head.

I suppose this is working for me because I am not anxious about my finances - my pensions seem to arrive at the beginning of the month regardless - and because I am confident about Canada's handling of the pandemic (my condolences to my American friends, who must feel as though they are living in the twilight zone...) and because death holds no terror for me.  Yes, I am following the rules, no I'm not going to hurry it along, but I'm pretty fatalistic about it, in the end.

So there you have it, my update for now.  Hope you all are well, and using your time to love and be loved.....

No comments:

Post a Comment