Monday, April 15, 2013

The rumours of my death have been exaggerated, but not by much,,,,,,,,,

Sorry.  This is the very first moment that I have been coherent enough to "put pen to paper" (as it were). 

Hank did go to Bethlehem, and, in spite of his lack of any serious religious conviction, found it moving.  I'm glad he went on his own - I couldn't have gone on a bet.  I wasn't going to miss Massada on Saturday, though, where those pesky Jews gave the Romans so much trouble, anfd then, when defeat was at hand. killed themselves rather than be taken alive by the Romans.  It is quite the fortress; I tell you, the spirit of Rome is more alive here than it is in Italy!

It is lucky for me that they have installed a cable car - I would have never made it up the hill, although some people did (admittedly, they were younger!!),  And indeed, I passed on the afternoon's entertainment, a float in (on??) the Dead Sea.  (for those to you who want to know, Hank did try it, and says it is a highly overrated entertainment!)

And that is all she wrote for me, anyway.  We transfered to a strange (but perfectly adequate) hotel near the Tel Aviv airport for a crack of dawn departure on Sunday morning the 14th, for Cairo, by way of Amman.  My only goal was to remain upright until we got to Ted's place in Cairo.  I did, but it was a close thing, and never was I happier to see a "fixer" at the airport, and a car and driver (yet more perks that I could get used to, but better not!)  Ted looked at me and said "doctor".  (And Ted is the height of a southern gentleman - I can't begin to think how awful I looked!)

I resisted until his morning , but after the night from hell, I didn't have the strength to resist.  Well, after several hours of poking and prodding and intevenous drugs, the diagnos is:  (drumroll please!) Community acquired pneumonia.   Luckily the clinic is under contract with Ted's company, are in the same building, and could be relied on not to ship me off to the hospital.

So here I sit, water bottles (apparently bourbon does not hydrate), medications, and bed and bathroom not far away.  We do have several tourist items on tap (an oasis, a few nights in Alexandria (and yes, I know its not like the Alexandria Quartet any more!), and I hope to be back to my usually perky self soon (They assure me that I won't die from this, although you wouldn't know it from the way I feel now!)  So please stay tuned,,,,

No comments:

Post a Comment