Sunday, August 18, 2013

I can't believe the summer's half gone....







  I left you last time on August 5, Canada Day, and I was on the way to the theater for the third of three of the repertory plays.  That night it was Mark Twain's The diaries of Adam and Eve.  It was a very sweet little play (some of you might have seen another adaption - glitzier, of course - on Broadway as The Apple Tree (I know I did, although I didn't realize it until I was halfway through this iteration.  Anyway, another nice night at the theater (although I have to say - have I said it already? - that if I ever win the lottery, I will buy that theater an air conditioning system!

Tuesday night was set to be a movie night with friend Donna, but as there was nothing around fit for an adult to see, we decided on a dinner for adults instead, at the previously mentioned new Steveston favouritem The Blue Canoe.

Left to right, Sue, Donna, yours truly and Kelly


As adult translates to wine with this group, and the food and conversation were the usual sparkling, well, it was way more fun than a summer blockbuster.

Followed by bridge on Wednesday night with the boys, this time at my house, and preceded by dinner at Yokahama (yes, we are creatures of habit.  My theory?  My childhood was so chaotic that I lock on to any tradition I can).

Thursday night was back to the theater, Bard on the Beach with Tom, this time for Hamlet.  This Hamlet got great reviews, which, considering the quality of the reviewers in this town doesn't mean a lot to me.  This time, though, it was totally and utterly justified.  Jonathan Young.  Remember that name.  This was his first season at Bard on the Beach, but let me telll you, that man is going places.  It was perhaps the best Hanlet I have ever seen, and trust me, I have seen a number!  And the staging, although modern (compete with Apple I-Pads and cell phones), was brilliant.  Folks, this is playing through September, and it is worth coming to Vancouver for!  (By the way, this is repertory, so he is also playing Feste, the fool, in Twelfth Night, and he is brilliant in that as well!)

And Friday I headed down to Seattle (can you see now why I haven't written earlier?) to pick up Peter; he flew in to Seattle for his weekend here.  He wasn't coming in until 6:30 P.M., but I headed down early for lunch with Mariah, Bobby and Gerardo.



Bobby and Gerardo (seen previously in these pages) spend most of their time in Puerto Vallarta, but were up staying in their little studio pied a terre (sp?) in Seattle for the summer and graciously invited me and Mariah for lunch.  It was great to see them both to catch up, although as you can see Bobby was a wounded bird - an ear infection gone horribly bad - and so was somewhat (alathough not much) less than his usual ebullient self.  Another sign:  they ordered in instead of cooking, although it was fried chicken from what is apparently Oprhah's favourite fried chicken joint.  (And no I can't look up the name - I am afraid to navigate away from this page for fear of losing it all - you'l have to Google "Oprh's Favourite Fried Chicken - Seattle.  If you find out, let me know).  It was indeed delicious, including all the sides, although I tried not to partake too much, as I knew a big dinner was in the offing.

I picked Peter up from the airport with not too much difficulty (except for making a wrong turn from the cell phone parking lot and landing on I-5, but hey, the signage was terrible, and I did manage to get back!) and we celebrated his arrival with a fabulous dinner at The Metropolitan Grill.



In a rare break with tradition, we changed our menu choices, from prime rib (we share, and alternate who gets the bone!) to prime rib (him) and porterhouse (me).  Great food, great service, as always, and great exit to the freeway for the 2 1/2 hour drive home.

Peter is my foodie friend (or I should say, one of them) so I tried to arrange a food filled weekend, not too difficult in Vancouver, I have to say, and espeially not for someone who likes food.  After a rare sleep in, we had a dim sum brunch at the already reviewed Fisherman's Terraace, rested for the afternoon, and headed out for Kitsilano Beach and Bard in the early evening.


Stopped for a drink and appies at my usual place, Corduroy, where the music is loud but the drinks are generous.  Then on to the theater.




(I think that may be my first published - and illegal - picture of the stage.  We were sitting on the side, so couldn't get the water and natural scenery behind the stage).  Peter requested Twelfth Night.  I, of course, had seen it already, but liked it even better the second time.  Peter was appalled that the actors were miked, and was only slightly mollified by being reminded that it was, after all, a tent, and completely lacking in accoustics.  Anyway, he agreed that it was well acted and well staged, and, I think, worth going.

Continuing our cultural streak on Sunday, we headed out (after a breakfast of leftover steak and eggs prepared by yours truly) for the Museum of Anthropology at UBC.  I hadn't been there for maybe 10 years or more, and so I was happy to indulge Peter in this.  It had turned rainy, anyway; a lovely day to spend at the museum.

















And that's it for the totem pictures, lucky you.  They are endlessly photogenic, though, and, for an anthropology museum, it is amazingly interesting.  For example, their afternoon musical event consisted of Sufi music and a Whirling Dervish, and their special exhibit addressed dislocation in the Middle East and seen by a number of artists from that part of the world.  Yet another reson to come to Vancouver

We finished the weekend with dinner at La Cigale, a French bistro which came highly recommended by my local foodies.  Hank approved - food, service and ambiance all passed muster, and we were all having such a good time (and the waitresses were so busy) that I didn't take any pictures.

And Monday, I drove Peter back to Seattle and the airport, and immediately turned around to high tail it home.  Round trip:  7 hours, but easy driving and the wait at the border was tolerable with company.  You will be happy to hear that this whirlwind of activity was followed by two days of rest.  (I was working, of coursee, but at least there weren't any "after school" activities.  Thursday I was supposed to play bridge with Robin, but due to a mix up - not of our making- at the bridge club, we each ended up with different partners.  I was luckier than she was, and ended up coming in third (out of 15 tables), as well as meeting a potential new partner!

And Thursday night, I again had some colleagues over for dinner.  I want to get back into entertaining again, and Deidre staying over from Victoria was all the excuse I needed.






(That's Susan at the top, and Deidre immediately above.) My new recipe for garlic couscous and North African chicken was a huge success (it has been such a long time since I have actually cooked that it took me half their proposed cooking time just to find my casserole dish, but hey, I know where it now), and there was enough wine so that by the end of the evening we were trading stories about first loves (I haven't thought about those for a long, long time) and hopes and dreams for the future.  I am encouraged to do it more often, and will start inviting couples as well.

The week finished with a good bye lunch for colleague Daphne, who has finally decided to take the plunge and retire.  (She will be going on contract, as I am, but will be working mostly from home so I won't see her much.)  She didn't want a big fuss, but did allow me to take her to lunch at Cactus Club.  I haven't been there since Rob Sweeny (Vancouver's idea of a celebrity chef) went there to be the executive chef (it is a chain, but higher end).




(That was mine, the braised shortribs.  You can sure see why the kids Instagram pictures of their food!)  Anyway, it was nice to have a chance to tell Daphne how much pleasure it had given me to get to know her over the past few years.

After all that over the last two weeks, it was good to have a quite weekend, with Saturday given over to the prosaic (I cleaned out my closet, finally acknowledging that there is little likelihood that I will return to a size 6 again. ), and today given over to my usual newspaper binge, as well as 5 hours in the office.

On those days I have been home, I have been doing my usual hour plus walk in Steveston every evening, but will spare you the pictures till next time.  Well, maybe a few...









Can you see why I love it?

No comments:

Post a Comment