Monday, August 5, 2013

San Francisco and Beyond








I don't know whether this will be successful (it says "error on page"!), but it's time I reported in.  I left you 10 days ago, having just arrived in San Francisco, on Thursday July 25.  I am starting to - no, really, I have been for a while - feel guilty for taking advantage of Hank's hospitality, but he assures me time and time again that I am welcome, so, well, here I am again.  I not only have a key, I have a (senior!) Clipper Card to get me on BART and all things rapid transit, so I go directly to Hank's (when he doesn't otherwise have my dance card filled up).  When he got home from work, we did our customary dinner at the Alamo Square Bistro (I'm sure I have given it my thumbs up already, but, again, French bistro without the attitude, great wine list and fresh fish made any way you like it.)


Friday - again with the tradition - we had our usual lunch at Henry Hunans, followed by some shopping (for me - Hank, of course, had to go back to work) and a quiet evening in.  

Saturday was the big day, and the reason for the trip - the Giants baseball game1  No, that is not a misprint, Nora going to a baseball game!  Actually, I don't mind the occasional baseball game (although this one was particularly boring, score 1 to 0, in the last inning, and no, we didn't win, but more about that later).

We had been trying to organize lunch with friends and former colleagues from the Bank of America for a long time, and finally succeeded.  Karen and Suzanne picked us up and we went for a late lunch at the Mission Rock Resort, right near the water, around the corner from the ball park, and gone considerably upscale from when I was living here in the 80's!








We had a lovely lunch out in the sunshine. catching up on lives (I would say "and loves" but none of us has had any - I think I am the only one who is looking, more fool me!) - oh, and the food was good too.  As a group, we have been known to be fractious, but I think we were all on our good behaviour, very much aware, I guess, that there are no friends like old friends and nothing lasts forever.

The girls then dropped us off at the ball park, and - here's the big reveal - the party started!  Another tradition - I have been selling lottery tickets at Hank's University of Arizona alumni functions, and this party, in conjunction with the game, was one of them.


























As you can see, it is a lovely stadium, and it was a lovely party.  We had a deck all of our own, there were about 150 attendees (to our party, not the game!), and we made a bit of money for the alumni association.  (Not my personal best in terms of lottery sales, though, it was a younger and poorer crowd than attends the football game, but hey, it kept me out of trouble - and out of the wine! - and the association was really gracious to me and grateful for the support.  On the whole, though, I think I will give it a pass next year, and just stick to the football game in the fall.

Sunday was a busy day, starting with brunch with friend Peter at Colibri, a Mexican restaurant on Geary Street. 









Quite high end, for a Mexican place, but freshly made tortillas and guacamole, and the carnitas/eggs benedict was a new and nice twist on an old favourite.

Peter went off to do his dottie domestic stuff that he does of a Sunday, and I went off to meet Hank for a double feature movie afternoon, both big hits.  Most of you have by now heard of Twenty Feet From The Stage, a documentary about the back up singers of the bands such as Bruce Springsteen, The Beetles, The Rolling Stones, Sting, David Bowie, etc.  It was a tremendous film, full of nostalgia and great sounds.  I highly recommend it. 

We had an hour break between movies, and so wandered out on the street and discovered - a Japanese Pop Culture Festival to amuse us.




(What is it with the Japanese and Miss Kitty, not to mention all the nubile teenagers dressed up like school girls?)  Anyway, suitably amused, we returned to the theater.  By the way, this was Hank's neighborhood movie theater, The Kabuki, and a civilized place it is too.  Not only are the seats amazingly comfortable, after 4 P.M. in certain of the theaters, liquor is sold and can be consumer while watching the movie!  Imagine!

The second feature was The Way, Way Back, a coming of age movie.  These are right up Hank's alley and not usually mine, but I quite liked it, much to my surprise.  (Most of you have heard my mantra - it iw my firm belief that friends are meant to drag you kicking and screaming to places you wouldn't ordinarily go1)

We ended the day - and th weekend - with a meal at Memphis Minnie's, a barbeque joint in the Haight that Hank has been telling me about for years, but have never made it to till now.  No offense, Hank, not the best barbeque in the world, but a great dive, and the owner was a flirty thing who obviously liked women, which is always fun!

Anyway, so much for San Francisco; I left the next day, and was back to work the day following that. 

Vancouver has been glorious this summer - we broke the record for the number of days without rain, and had a completely rain-free July.  And  am amazingly content with my life.  Good theater always helpd.  Friend Tom had scouted out the Ensemble Theater Company, who are doing three plays in repertory this summer.  We saw the first on Wednesday, July 30th - it was The Farnsworth Invention, written by Aaron Sorkin (yes, you recognize the name, he was the writer of The West Wing) - tremendously intelligent dialogue, well acted -- and all for $17!  (God, good theater makes me happy!)




I came back to the theater, which is at Jericho Beach, (see above for a change of scene for my evening walk) for those of you following along, on Sunday, to see the second play, Women Beware Women, a Jacobean play, not usually my cup of tea, but again, a good play well acted.

Which brings us to today, B.C. Day and so a holiday for us, and another beautiful day in paradise it is.  Friend and former colleague Eric came over for a walk....







.
And so, having dawdled the rest of the day away with the remains of the Sunday New York Times, I am off to see the third play, The Diaries of Adam and Eve by Mark Twain.  Review next time. 

Hope you are all having as good a summer as I am.  I have a busy couple of weeks, but will try to post next weekend, between guests.

No comments:

Post a Comment