Saturday, August 31, 2013

The Lady Drives Too Fast!




So, I did it again.  Just going home from  work, minding my own business.  It was sunny out, the top was down.  I wasn't even in a hurry to get anywhere, and didn't even feel any particular annoyance with my fellow drivers.  Then, lights, sirens, action, and several minutes later, a $290 ticket.  Speeding would have been bad enough (apparently, if I would have been going 5 klicks faster, they could have impounded my car!) but it was also for changing lanes (he lost track of how many times!) without signaling!  (Ironic, that; I signal when I turn into my garage, and one of my pet peeves about the diver in Richmond is that they sem to think that their turn signals are optional extras on the car, but I wasn't going to argue with a cop!).  Oh, well.  It's not the only time I have been speeding - I seem to remember telling y'all about another such episode - and I always think that by the timee I have gotten the ticket, it has already been amortized.

That was enough to slow me down, for a while, anyway.  (I didn't even know they could impound your car for speeding...)

Tuesday (August 20) I met friend Joan for coffee.



I had reconnected with her at one of my theater outings a few weeks ago, and we decided we needed to catch up.  She is one of the foundeers of United Players, and I worked with her on a number of productions a few years ago doing props.  She's in her 70's and still going strong, acting (she will be in The Habit of Art in September - review to follow), and writing and directing her own play after that.  We always talk theater - what she has seen, what I have seen, who's doing what to whom in our local, very small world - good fun!

And Wednesday, back to the routine, bridge with the boys, preceded by dinner.



You might notice someone missing - there's me, Tom behind and John across - but where's Dennis?  He didn't get the word - John's job (I'm in charge of Tom on the telephone tree), so he couldn't get to dinner in time.  You will be happy to hear h made it to John's for bridge though, and, as usual, a good time was had by all.

Friend Arlene came from Seattle for the weekend - was it only last weekend, it seems like eons ago - and I tried out my very rusty (see previous post) cooking skills, making puff pastry Danishes to go with bacon and eggs for breakfast, after which we headed out to Bard on the Beach for Elizabeth Rex by Timothy Findlay.



Yes, I know that I've seen it before, but Arlene hadn't seen it and it was worth seeing again.  Indeed, it was even better the second time - maybe it was just seeing it with an intelligent, knowledgeable, theater loving friend!  Which Tom (with whom I saw it the first time) is too, of course, but Arlene loved it (Tom did not) so it was even better.

We went to the matinee, so it was still light out for a lovely drive to White Rock to friend Robin's who invited us for dinks before dinner at Little India on the water in White Rock.









Doesn't Robin's garden look gorgeous?  Anyway, we had lovely G & T's, and headed off to dinner.  Little India gets five stars (well, maybe only four....), and dinner at the beach was a great way to end the day.

And on Sunday, we did another matinee at Bard, Hamlet this time (and yes, I did see that before too), and Arlene loved it as much as I did.  That wasn't a sure thing going in - I probably mentioned that it was set in 2013, and neither Arlene nor I like updating the classics as a rule, but I thought she would like it and she did.  I mean, one knows one is not responsible for other people's experience of the theater, but one does feel responsible, no?  Anyway, I live for those great theater momentss, and I sure have had a lot of them this summer!

Bard was followed by dinner on the pier in Steveston, at my current favourite, the Blue Canoe...


....and we continued the talking and drinking back home.  Arlene is going through a difficult stretch right now, both physically (notice, there were no walks on the agenda) and emotionally (and no, I won't tell you.  It is one thing to tell you all my secrets - they are, after all, mine to tell - but I won't breach someone else's privacy.  Who knows who is reading this blog, after all), and it was good to be able to be of help.  Our friendship has had some ups and downs over the years, and it is nice to be back in the up direction!

So, busy weekend, followed by a quite week at work.  We did have one of our Pho soup lunches (we always go there when is starts to rain, and guess what?.....)



Colleagues Tony, Bill, Lisa and Brian





You know, we have been going to this dive for years (we go in through the back and Lisa has to close her eyes when we pass the bathrooms!), and I don't think any of us could tell you its name.  However, we know the owners (father and son, and grandson recently born), and it has the best - and cheapest -  Pho and spring rolls in town.  When you come, I will take you.  what is that, now, about 60 restaurants we have to go to?

Well, there was one more thing this week, bridge with Robin at the bridge club in White Rock (we didn't do so well, but at least we were in the middle of the pack and not dead last!) followed by a Thai lunch - excellent!  (Let's just make it a given - if I don't provide the name it's because I've forgotten it - if I ever new it!)



The newcomer at the top is friend and fellow bridge player Carol

Which brings us to the weekend.  Labour Day weekend - the summer is nearly over, although I must say that September is often glorious here.  I did a lovely three hour walk today, and have two more planned for the next couple of days (although I will probably go in to work on Monday - the pressure is on to get my work done before I leave next month), and will send you the photo gallery next time.)

Till then....

No comments:

Post a Comment