Monday, November 10, 2014

Did I mention the pool?

.....but that's later in the week.

Monday morning, friend Geoff invited me over for coffee after the gym - he lives close by.  (And yes, I am back to going to the gym each weekday for an hour and a half.  Good girl, Nora!)  Geoff is heading off for Kuala Lumpur and parts east for 3 weeks, so it was our last chance for a while.

Here's Geoff..


...and friends Nancy...


.....and Tom.


Between four games of bridge this week, also managed lunch with neighbor Michael at Don and Sweet Sue's, one of my favourites (and not just because of its name!)



...and was impressed by the usual collection of fauna....



and views from the deck...




......of which you will, no doubt, get heartily sick before too long.

On Thursday evening, I saw the National Theater of London's live in HD performance of Steinbeck's Of Mice and Men.  It was, as always, a wonderful production.  I had forgotten, though, how depressing that story was, and the loneliness of life without anyone "watching your back", or without someone to care about.

Saturday was the pool day, and a glorious day it was too. ( No pictures, sorry.)

Sunday, I was up early for the drive to Los Angeles.  On a Sunday, it's really quite an easy drive - one hour and forty minutes from my door to the music center.

Couldn't resist a few pictures of Disney Hall (although the opera is held in the Music Center next door)...



...and the Plaza....



....before brunch at the Brasserie...




By that time, the box office was open, and I scored a rush ticket to Bluebeard's Castle and Dido and Aeneas, a weird double bill if ever there was one.  I mean, Bartok and Purcell?  I am glad to have seen them, but - well, let me put it to you this way, I don't have to see either one of them again.  I don't think I have ever seen operas where I cared about the characters less....

However, I had an uneventful drive home, and will certainly do it again if there is an offering that interests me.

So back to (my version of) reality today, the gym, some errands (including putting gas is my car - you might be interested in knowing that gas here is $2.85 a gallon.  Even with an 88 cent Canadian dollar, that seems really good to me), bridge in the afternoon, at yet another bridge club, and drinks on the patio (theirs, next door, not mine) with Arlene....


....and Deb.

And yes, I am still reading, mostly, this week, Ken Follett's newest door stop, The Edge of Eternity, the latest in the Century Trilogy.  It was available in the library; I couldn't resist it, but I've only got two weeks to read it, and when I said doorstop, I meant it.  So, I am off to cuddle with my book....

More anon!

No comments:

Post a Comment