Thursday, November 13, 2014

They call it Veteran's Day here....

...and there is a parade.  I went with friends Michael....


....and Greg....



both of whom are veterans of Viet Nam.

....and then there's me, ex-Flower Child, all grown up....



It was actually a very cool parade....








Seeing as it is California, there were a lot of neat cars.....






r
r


There won't be too many more parades with veterans from Pearl Harbor or the Tuskeegee Airmen........
r





















.....followed by a concert of military music (and, no, I don't think its an oxymoron, I happen to lie military music, in addition to opera and rock and roll), and fireworks, and, like everything else around here, one feels as if it all takes place on a movie set...



I am ambivalent, of course.  I don't like killing, or nationalism generally speaking.  But in spite of all the years in Canada, I am still a dyed-in-the-wool American, get choked when I hear the Star Spangled Banner, and still believe it is a noble experiment, gone perhaps temporarily awry, but a noble experiment nonetheless, and still way better than whatever-the-hell is in second place.  And I do believe that military might is necessary, as long as we are not living in paradise.,...and maybe even then.

But all this is a philosophical conversation over a glass of scotch......,

No comments:

Post a Comment