Monday, November 17, 2014

Just checking in......

Not too much to report, but thought I would check in,

Neighborhood parties have resumed for the season on Thursdays.....




....and it is nice to see everyone again.  And it is never "welcome back", it is always "welcome home"!!

Friday, Saturday and Sunday was a sectional bridge tournament.  I played all three days. two sessions each day, Friday with friend Robin and Saturday and Sunday with friend and neighbor Art.  Again, it was like a reunion, all the folks from last year, and from other tournaments.  Everyone always remembers me (I, on the other hand, remember, but not the names!) - it must be the hats!  Anyway, I scored points four out of the six sessions, and it was quite a big crowd, so I was pretty stoked.

Played bridge today too, with new partner Craig - although as poorly as I played, it is likely he will never play with me again!! (He is here from Vancouver and I knew him from the White Rock club).  A terrific gentleman, though, and a lovely man (gay or straight I am not really sure).  In any event, I hope the start of a nice friendship.

I will be off the radar for about 5 days, I think.  Brother-in-law Jim (David's brother) is failing, and I am heading up to Eugene, Oregon to see him, collecting a few of the cousins in Salem and Corvallis so that they can say their good byes as well.  Some of the cousins are not doing so well either;two have recently died, one has had a stroke, and one, well, she is not tracking very well..  It all makes me very sad.  As some of you know, I don't have much family of my own, and such that I do have are mostly far away (i.e., the East Coast), David's family adopted me, and made me a part of their wonderful group.  They were very supportive of David, especially his brother, and I am so sorry that the era is coming to an end.  (They are all in their 80's of course, but still,...)

It is all making me feel very old too, especially as I am feeling very anxious about the whole trip.  Isn't that what happens to old people, they get anxious about going out of their comfort zone, and so their world gets narrower and narrower.....?  I find I am having to force myself to go places I am not familiar with.  It is always all right, of course - generally speaking, things always are with me.  So, I will keep forcing myself out of my comfort zone as long as I am able; after that, someone shoot me please, before I start drooling.

I'll be returning next Saturday, and will try to do another LA Opera outing on Sunday, if I have the energy, and will report after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment