Friday, December 12, 2014

Tis the season.......

Amazingly enough, I actually like the Christmas music on the classical channel (yes, folks, I have rediscovered the radio), and am feeling quite.....I don't know, generous of spirit.....

My present to myself was a new camera - I just got too tired of editing out the unremoveable spots on the lens of the old one, and I wanted better zoom.  Of course, there are a million features I haven't used yet, but still..



This is what Christmas looks like in the desert, with my new camera!!

The season started last Saturday, December 6, with the Festival of Lights parade.  This is the - third? - year Michael had I have gone, so I guess we could call it a tradition...

























































And here's something you wouldn't see in Canada - a live Nativity scene!!!!!






I know, I know, too many pictures - and this is after considerable editing!!!  Well, in my defense, I was trying out the new camera, but still - I will try to restrain myself in future...

Anyway, it is not exactly the Macy's parade, but for a small town parade, it wasn't bad, and the weather was downright balmy!!!

So much for that, but it was followed on Sunday with the first party of the season, at Judi and Uli's.  Judi is an acquaintance from the gym, and she was kind enough to include me....











I was glad I had taken considerable care about my appearance - as you can see, everyone else did too, and Judi's home was lovely.  But, you know, I am much better at giving parties than going to them.  I felt incredibly uncomfortable (I hasten to add, through no fault of either hosts or other guests, who were all very gracious), one of only two single women and finding that making conversation was work not play.  I left early.

December 9 is David's birthday, and as most of you know, I have dinner with my husband every year on that day.  This year, we went to Spencer's, a desert tradition.  It is a wonderful place, but I will have to pick a new place for next year.  I just assumed that they would have prime rib (David's favourite, and, together with bourbon, the basic requirement for the annual dinner) - it is a prime rib sort of place. They did not, so I made due with rib eye, and I must say both bourbon and rib eye were fabulous.  And if the waiters were appalled by the sight of an old lady drinking bourbon and mumbling to herself, they didn't show it!  And yes, I still feel as if Davie is looking out for me!

The rest of the week has been spent reading (finished the book about the CIA in the Middle East previously mentioned, reread The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay by Michael Chabon, in my never-ending quest for the Golem, ditto Elie Wiesel's book about the Golem and Isaac Baashevis Singer's story collection, and finally, for no particular reason, Louise Penny;s new Detective Gamache mystery, The Long Way Home, and the new Philippa Gregory historical potboiler, The King's Curse), and of course, playing bridge.  (In that regard, you will be happy to know I am now a Sectional Master.  At this rate, I will be a Life Master, if at all, by the time I am 92!

I will save my good wishes for the season for the next post.  For now, off to the gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment