Sunday, September 9, 2018

First Impressions

Not good.  My hotel is steps away from the infamous Nevsky Prospect, and I was very much looking forward to strolling on it.  Very sad - it reminds me of nothing so much as Times Square pre-Disney.  The whole place needs some paint, not to mention a street sweeper.  And I've found the homeless and beggars.

Then there was the issue of the ballet.  The music to Swan Lake, of course, is glorious, but it was a second rate production with second tier dancers, apparently put on for tourists.  The tourists were all Chinese, pushing and shoving and coming late and talking through the production and taking pictures throughout.

I left at intermission.

Then, to add insult to injury, a cab driver tried to rip me off big time, and I had to rely on the kindness of strangers to call a cab for me, wait till he came, and negotiate the price for me.   (Apparently that's what they do to tourists....)   It would have been worth it to have a phone just for the Uber app.

We'll see if I have better luck tomorrow at the opera.

On the bright side, the hotel is great, and I will have clean clothes tomorrow.  And I needed an early night!

No comments:

Post a Comment