Friday, September 7, 2018

Greetings from Moscow

Technical difficulties continue, so no new pictures.  And I am still (it seems perpetually on this trip) exhausted, so not much of a post, I'm afraid.  But, for those of you kind enough to worry about me, I thought I would check in with a few more general observations.

Have I told you about the concerts?  We have had at least six or seven, from the Chinese opera to several folk concerts (Mongolian and Russian) to three classical concerts.  This is one of the things that Road Scholar prides itself on, and they have been woven seamlessly into our touring opportunities.

So, from Irkutsk, known as the Paris of Siberia, a few days on the train brought us to Novosibersk (you can almost tell it means New Siberia, can't you), another wonderful city.  The cities have been very different from my expectations.  I'm not sure what I expected - maybe wooden huts and peasants in the fields (I have been reading way too many Russian novels), but these cities are a fascinating blend of old and new, and the new is as breathtaking as the old (wait until you see the pictures....), great architecture and bustling people - and, of course, traffic jams.  In Siberia!

A few general observations, and I am done...

The Russians I have spoken to seem to think the oligarchs have stolen their country.

Out guide voted for Putin, and was emphatic about the amount of freedom they have...

Some (but by no means all) of the lectures since my last post:  Russia, Soviet to Modern; Culture of Russia, or why Russians don't smile; Russian Language Lesson; Populating Siberia; the Gulag; the Ronanovs; and many more.

Ykaterinberg was amazingly touching - the Russiaphiles among you will know that as the place where the last tsar and his family were murdered.  They have now proved that the bodies found were those of the royal family, and a church has been placed on the site of the home where they were killed.

Speaking of churches, there are an amazing number of them, and the church - all religions, not just orthodox - is having a big revival.  Not one of the big successes of the Soviet Union, stamping out religion.

There is now  Memorial to the Victims of Stalin's Repression in Ykaterinbert (which, by the way, is considered the border between European (Western) Russia and Siberia (Eastern Russia).

No-one want to talk about the Ukraine....

Next up was Kazan, the only time we hit the "Stans".  A Muslin state, but, as our guide put it, "we are pretty relaxed about it) - i.e., pork is prominent, as is drinking.  Another beautiful city, of which its inhabitants are most proud.

And yesterday, we left the train, and arrived in Moscow.

Wow.  What a spectacular city.  I am way too tired to even start, but we will still be here in Internet land tomorrow, to I will do my best to convey the beauties and wonders of Moscow then.

Meanwhile, no proofreading tonight, so please forgive my errors and tune in again tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment