Saturday, September 1, 2018

Greetings from Irkutsk, Siberia

Here's the bad news.  I am still having technical difficulties, and so still can't download pictures.  And out internet access is spotty - this is my first blogging opportunity since the last time, what, five days ago.  So I have decided to forego the day to day log until I can get home and download pictures at the same time.

The good news is that I am having a fabulous time, even better than I expected.

Some general observations.  Starting with the Chinese train and now the Russian one, the facilities are good (although the bathrooms are a bit primitive) and the food is downright fabulous.

Far from being bored, it has been non-stop information and activities, both on the train and off, from lectures (Ghengis Khan, the History of Siberia) to tea ceremony to Vodka Tasting.

I managed to score a compartment to myself, which is a plus.

So far, we have crossed from China (a bureaucrat's wet dream) to Mongolia (much more relaxed) to Russia (very, very serious) without issue.

There are still nomads and horses and camels in Mongolia - as well as incredible traffic jams in the cities.

I had no idea that Mongolia was Buddhist!

Mongolia exchanges is 2400 local units (as Hank would say) to the dollar - too much mathematics.

Lake Baikal was as incredible as advertised - it is 400 miles long and fifteen miles wide, clear and cold and (mostly) pure.

And now, finally, we are truly in Siberia.  I made the mistake of calling out local guide "Russian" today.  He immediately corrected me:"no, I am Siberian".  (Much like the whole Hong Kong/Mainland China thing, I think.)  By the way, just so you know, China is buying up much of Mongolia and Siberia, and there is just as much resentment about it!

After 21,000,000 people in Beijing, there are 4 people per square meter in Siberia, although Irkutsk itself has 600,000.  (it is a charming city).

The culture is changing from East to West before my very eyes.

We are doing our first time zone change tomorrow - there are seven in total, so a long way to go yet.

Sorry about the lack of detail, but I promise I will back fill later, with pictures.  For now, suffice it to say I am having a wonderful time.  The group is pretty well matched in terms of physical abilities and interests, and they are very solicitous of our needs, from (clean and western) bathroom breaks to water and food. 

We will, I think,have another Internet opportunity in two or three days, and I will check in then,  Meanwhile,, I am exhausted.  Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment