Sunday, December 11, 2011

Bridge and more bridge

Well, if I didn't already feel that way, now I really feel like I have died and gone to heaven.  I played bridge four times this week; party bridge at the Mizell Center on Monday; duplicate on Tuesday (and no, no points yet guys, although we didn't do badly); bridge at our complex on Wednesday (surprisingly high level of bridge, actually); and party bridge at Mizell again on Thursday.  Well, they say practice makes perfect!

There was more to the week, though.  Peter's friend Geoff, formerly of Pender Island, B.C., is living here full time now, and we got together for lunch at the Encena Golf club on Wednesday  (and yes, I forgot to take pictures, although it is the best view in town, second only to my patio, and my food isn't as good!).  I did take some pictures around his complex nearby, though, because I wanted you all to see what is available for, say, $220,000 in beautiful Palm Springs!







Yes, you are seeing right, every unit has its own pool, and a view of the mountains too!

I am of the "make one outrageous proposal a day and sooner or later someone will take you up on it" school of reality, so the next time one of these comes up on foreclosure, that is just what I might do!

Still at Sun Dance (yes, that is what it is called), I had not one but two of those "small world" occurrences.  The realtor Geoff called to let me see some of the other units came over, and turned out to be Michael, the same realtor who had spent the day with me several months ago when I tagged along with friend Gerry Parsons to look at mid-century modern homes.  Do you have any idea how many realtors there are in Palm Springs?  What are the odds?  Then, while walking through the complex, we ran into Geoff's best friend there, Marlin, who turned out to be someone who does circuit training with me at the gym! 

Speaking of the gym, I did go there five times this week as well.

Here's the smiling face that greets me every day!

Also on Wednesday, in the evening, I went to another Metropolitan Opera in the Movies, this time a Philip Glass opera called Satyagraha, based loosely on episodes from the life of Ghandi.  I was intellectual music rather than the emotional stuff of Verdi and Puccini, but beautiful nonetheless, spellbinding, really, for four hours, and the staging was fabulous.  Not for everyone's taste, I am sure, but I liked it. 

Friends Carolyn and Lou from Gimley, Manitoba finally arrived, and I went to their new place (they were former neighbors in this complex) for dinner on Thursday, and had a good time catching up.  By the way, Lou's favorite thing to do down here is gamble, yet another alternative to golfing!

And on Friday, I went out to dinner by,  myself, to Davey's Hideway, and old Palm Springs tradition which still looks and feels like Frank Sinatra should walk out behind the bar.  And I guess I really wasn't by myself.  Friday was husband David's birthday, and I go to Davey's Hideway every year on his birthday, to raise a glass of his favorite bourbon and have his favorite prime rib, and thank him for taking care of me.  His memory has become comfort rather than pain over the years, and I am hugely grateful to have had time with him!  For those of you who knew him, raise a glass in his honor, would you?

And today I spent with Robin and Grant in La Quinta, where they live when they are not living in White Rock, B.C.  We went to the La Quinta resort, which is all dolled up for Christmas.







Margharitas and nachos and a good time was had by all.

And so goes by another week in paradise!

No comments:

Post a Comment