Friday, December 2, 2011

So now you know the answer to the most commonly asked question.....

...which is, "what do you do down in Palm  Springs if  you don't play golf?".  Clue:  see previous posting.

In addition, there is culture all over the place, and I still haven't gotten to LA yet.  For example, the town was all abuzz - that is, they were talking about it both at the gym  and the Mizell Center where we play bridge - that there was going to be a benefit at the Camelot Theater (don't you love the name?).  It was a musical documentary, about a group called The Wrecking Crew.  And no, it is not the name of a punk band, it is the group of LA musicians who played behind almost every rock artist in the 60's, 70's and 80's.  I had no idea, did you.  Anyway, it was a fabulous movie, with the director and some of the musicians there for Q & A, and everyone who has ever played a lick on a guitar in the audience.  Check it out, at http://www.wreckingcrewfilm.com/ and like it on facebook.  The facebook thing is something I have never recommended, but they are trying to get funding for wider distribution, and numbers apparently talk!

So, what else do I do?  Well, I have already mentioned the eating part.  Everyone who has been down here knows Sherman's Deli.  Also a good pick, and I love the name...



I know most of you know (if you have been in my presence for more than 5 minutes) about the Metropolitan Opera in HD, playing on Saturday mornings in the theaters.  A few years ago, they started doing the National Theater of London's production in HD as well.  They are, of course, available here, and yesterday I saw The Collaborators, a wonderful new play, based on the premise that Joseph Stalin wanted Bulganov (a wonderful satirical anti soviet writer - remember The Master and Margharita) to write a play about his early life.  It was very funny, and very sad, and hugely moving.  See it if you get the chance.

And yesterday was a good day for a movie.  I don't know if it made the news up there, but the Santa Ana winds have hit southern California.  Winds were clocked up to 135 miles per hour (yes, the patio furniture is in), and the power was out in Pasadena and LA (but not here), closing the LA airport for a time.  So, although there was no rain here, it was cold and grey, and, as noted, a good movie day.

But these things don't last here, so then I get to do my next favorite thing.


...driving!

And more bridge.  Wait for it - Art and I are starting to play duplicate bridge!  Oh, no, am I going to become one of those insufferable old ladies who does nothing but play bridge and tennis and/or golf and goes to lunch?

No comments:

Post a Comment