Saturday, August 2, 2014

The Dog Days of Summer -what does that mean exactly anyway?

Yes, it's me again.  Already.  It's just that this weekend is just one big picture taking opportunity, and if I don't keep up, well, I'll fall behind.  Besides, it is 4:30 in the morning, what else is there to do?

Before we get to this weekend, though, there was last week.  Thursday last was a regular bridge day in White Rock with Robin - nothing exciting, no costumes, no points, just bridge.  Which is really just fine; any day I'm playing bridge is a good day, as far as I'm concerned!

In the evening, met Tom for dinner at Corduroy's....


(our usual pub joint before Bard on the Beach experience) and the theater, this time, Cymbaline.  And yes, you wide-awake ones, I have seen it before this season.  It was a very clever production (7 people playing 24 roles, all changes done on stage in a very small theater), though, and Cymbaline is only produced once every thirty years, so worth seeing twice if it is done well.  A great theater evening, and as you have probably already noticed, I live for those evenings!

Friday, colleague Daphne was in the office.  With everyone either working at home 2 or 3 days a week or working on contract and just coming in every once in a while, we don't see each other all that often, and there is always gossip to catch up on.  So, dim sum it was, at the local dive whose name I always forget to look at so I can tell you.....


The weather has been glorious, so the walks on the dike and around Garry Point continue nightly.....



Monday, someone from the local club (no, really local, 4 blocks from my house in the Beth Tikvah Synagogue) called and asked if I wanted to play bridge.  Sure, why not, says I, and lo and behold if we didn't come in 3rd and get some points, even though we had never played together before and both signals and conventions went over our respective heads!

Fast forward to Thursday (bridge again with Robin, this time come in 2nd with appropriate points), and Friday (coffee with friend Eric to catch up) and the drive to Seattle for friend Bobbie's long awaited wedding!

When I say "long awaited", I am definitely not kidding.  Bobbie and Gerardo have been together for years and years (details to be provided after the ceremony later today), not to mention all the years before they met during which I was waiting for him to find the love of his life - since, apparently there were impediments to it being me.....)

Being Bobbie, who never does anything by halves, this "wedding" is an all weekend affair.  Mariah and I started off by shopping at 2 Big Blondes, my very favourite thrift store, all glorious clothes, all large sizes.  We had a blast - Mariah is such an enabeler!

Then off to the first wedding event, a BBQ on the roof of Bobbie's building, put on by his brother in honour of the wedding boys!!


Here's Gerardo, the happy bride....




...and groom Bobbie with his "sister" Mariah.....




....and the children....









It was a lovely event, and a happy time.  It was nice to meet with Bobby and Gerardo's friends from Puerto Vallarta, where they live, and reconnect with other friends and family from here.

Wedding ceremony on a boat in Lake Union later today.  To be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment