Sunday, October 23, 2011

Alone in Madrid

Well, to console myself for being along, and congratulate myself for managing the drive to the Metro, I returned to the Restaurant Botin - to have (gasp!) a wonderful meal of roast suckling pig!




Considering that it is supposed to be a tourist trap, there were an awful lot of locals (by far the majority) there, and the service as well as the food was delightful.  Thanks for the tip, Carol, I would have never thought of it without you.

I finished off the afternoon with more of Hapsburg Madrid, the incredibly busy city center, even more so on a Saturday.  Believe it or not, I found myself in the midst of a huge demonstration, luckily peaceful, organized by the unions I think.  Everyone was in a good humor, but there were lots of people - and lots of cops!





All topped off by a drink at the local bar where everyone knows my name!!  All very well, but missing Hank already!

On Sunday, I did a walking tour through the District of Salamanca, the really high rent district in Madrid.  After the hoards of people yesterday, it was nice to have a nice, leisurely walk among the well heeled.  I started with yet another private collection, at the Lazaro Galdiano Museum.  These private collections are really quirky and interesting.  This one in particular had some miniatures which I spent a lot of time with, and a lot of early Spanish art which was a little different.  The walk continued with hugh churches, a very up-scale Muslim center, and topped off with a walk in the Parque del Retiro, the Madrid version of Central Park.





And, of course, the park.







And on the way home, browsing through the windows, look what I found...


This one is for you, Peter - an orange refrigerator!

If you do not here from me for a few days, do not dispair.  I will probably take a day off to do laundry, clean up, and regroup for my last travel week.  But I will return....

No comments:

Post a Comment