Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Oh, no, a tour bus!

Yesterday, I finally did what most people do on the first day - get on the hop on/hop off bus to see what's available.  I sat on the top deck, naturally, although I swear it feels like snow, and had a wonderful time.  When we passed the Palacio Real (which Hank and I saw the first day), I hopped off so that I could see the nearby cathedral, which had been closed for the interminable Spanish lunch breaks (often 1 to 4, just when the tourist day gets started).  Not only did I get to see the changing of the guard outside the palace








I saw this - literally, a three block wait for entrance to the Palace (Hank and I had strolled right in.





The Cathedral de la Mudena was worth it too. More modern than any that we had seen thus far.  And yes, I did climb to the dome, it is not so bad when the stairs are (although numerous) wide and well lit.







Then, back on the bus, for a stop at the Church of Toledo, which was - wait for it - closed for lunch!  I did get a shot in the garden, though



but that's what's great about the bus, I can go back tomorrow, as I got the 2 day package.  (Also a plus, I got the senior rate, which I have been doing all over Madrid.  In Rome and Florence they required that you be an EU member country resident in order to get the discount.  Not so here, and it is nice to be getting the benefit of living to the ripe old age of 65!)

So, back on the bus.  It went pretty far afield from the center of the city.  I even got to see the stadium where Real Madrid plays soccer.  (there is a huge museum, apparently full of soccer paraphinelia, and no, I didn't go in)   In fact, there was quite a bit of soccer talk - this is were the opponents play, this is where Real Madrid fans celebrate the wins, this is where the opponents - who are nicknamed the mattress tops for their red and white stribed jerseys - celebrate their wins,this is the big sports bar, blah, blah, blah.  My first thought was "bread and circuses", but hey, whatever gets people through the night. 

And now that I have figured out the eating thing (eat a big lunch so I don't have to eat dinner at 9 P.M., or at all), it must be almost time to go.

Back on the bus today!

By the way, I am thinking about keeping up the blog after I get home.  People seem to like it, and it has the benefit of  a) making me edit my pictures - I deleete more than half of them - every day; and b) clarifying my thoughts, as my journal used to.  My life looks like it will be peripatetic enough to be vaguely interesting, at least to my friends, and at least you will be able to know where I am, and what phone number (if any) to call.  Okay, show of hands.....

No comments:

Post a Comment